What did you do to YOUR bump today?

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: What did you do to YOUR bump today?

Post by Jacksdad »

Thanks Kyle - we're getting there slowly but surely. I have someone that contacted me about the seats a while back, but I'm not sure if he's still active. I just PM'd him to see if he's still interested. The passenger seat is in great shape, but the driver's seat has small cracks in the vinyl from use. No splits though, and they are very comfortable.

No idea what the original seats came out of, but they have some of the beefiest brackets I've ever seen. You could probably lift the truck with them :D
Seats 6.jpg
In case anyone's thinking of trying it, bump seat runners are a pain in the butt to adapt to a La-z-boy - and you can't recline them in a standard cab unfortunately. I wasn't too happy with the color either, and my local Autozone apparently doesn't carry seat covers that fit. :lol:
image1.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

This weekend: I replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, changed the oil and oil filter, replaced the air filter, replaced the wiper blades and all 3 belts, plus adjusted the choke (multiple times, but if my ride to work this morning is any indication, I've finally done a pretty good job of that, even if I do say so myself).

What I discovered this weekend, as I replaced the plugs, is that carbon buildup in the cylinders is really bad. I could use some suggestions for cleaning that out; I've tried doing a Seafoam 'hot soak', but it doesn't really seem to have helped (although pouring a little in the crankcase did). Any suggestions? Just load the fuel up with cleaner? Maybe some MMO?

ETA: And my fuel filter and fuel hose was just delivered according to my Amazon app. So those will be replaced tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks,
-Joe
1971 F-350 DRW SWB Stake Body
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Finished putting the exhaust manifolds back on - no more leak........ :woohoo: Put gas in the saddle tanks for the first time since remounting them - no leaks in the tanks or all my new plumbing........ :woohoo:

Then went and bought a lottery ticket to hopefully continue my good luck and to help pay for 57 gallons of gas it took to fill all 3 tanks......... :cry:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Figured out after having the truck quit running on me at 70 mph on a 4 lane highway - and running like s@@t when I did get it going again - that my gas cap wasn't venting and building up pressure......... :cuss: This was after I wasted a beautiful Sunday afternoon going thru the carb and electrical system thinking I had a heat problem..........which I did - just in the wrong place....... :roll:

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
WarEagle

Post by WarEagle »

This past weekend I put in a new sound deadener, heat shield and new carpet. Also recovered the bench seat in a nice dark blue. First time I tried it and I like how it came out!
1972 F100 300 cid straight 6
2009 F150 4.6L Super Crew
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

Fine tuned the new Edelbrock 4bbl on the F-250, and finished the new-to-me upholstery on the F-500. Soon, diamond plate on the F-500's bed....
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Finally got around to repairing the windshield wiper mechanism someone was good enough to vandalize.
Easy enough to get the dash out, but that's where the easy ended. Suffice to say, even after I heal, I hope to never have to do that again. So many sharp edges and teeny tiny spaces. And the steering column and wheel...:x
Nice to have a windshield wiper on my side again though :D
WP_20170613_18_27_44_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

I got tired of leaning forward when I move the beast, so I put the bump seat runners on my '89 bench seat. Such a difference and one of the easiest jobs I've done on this thing - 30 minutes and it was back in and sitting at the correct angle. Not sure why I was putting it off :dk:
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

Jacksdad wrote:I got tired of leaning forward when I move the beast, so I put the bump seat runners on my '89 bench seat. Such a difference and one of the easiest jobs I've done on this thing - 30 minutes and it was back in and sitting at the correct angle. Not sure why I was putting it off :dk:

I just put a bunch of washers under my seats to get the angle I wanted :D
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Hey, whatever works, right?

The thing is, I had the bump seat runners set aside waiting for the right bench seat and just got lazy. Mine was still sitting on the ones that came with the later bench seat and it was tipped forward a little too much. I literally dropped it in the cab so I could move it, and used it like that for a few months. I don't drive it other than to move it, so not being properly mounted wasn't an issue, but it's much more comfortable now it's at the right angle. Plus now I can think about bolting it in because the later runners didn't come close to matching the contour of the floor.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

10,540 lbs with me and the dog aboard. 2.03 tons of stone dust to help redo the walkway to the garage and settle some crush and run where I built a fence. Funny that when the mud flaps are 1.5" from the road, I'm loaded. Truck didn't seem to mind the load nearly as much as I do unloading it.

'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
71Fe2O3

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

A few days ago I rewired the headlight circuits to include relays. I finally grew tired of living in denial, thinking that my eyes were worse than they are, or that the bulbs themselves had gone bad.
Relays, fusible links and ceramic sockets came from eBay sellers; fuses, wire and connectors from my father's garage. Dad, who died last year, was a mechanic, and because he taught me to appreciate old vehicles, it felt good to incorporate him into the old truck. I thought about him often as I used supplies and tools that were once his.
To minimize cuts in the stock wiring, I ran the new wires in parallel with the old ones. The only cut in the stock wire was near the high-beam switch, with new wiring from there to the relays, and also from the relays to the bulbs. The stock wire is still there in case I or future owners want to bring it back to Henry's original standards. To make it as neat and "professional" in appearance as my skills allow, I ran the wires through the firewall grommets alongside the existing wires-this was a bit of a bother, but I think it looks good, and, most critically, it works well.
Hours spent poring over the wiring diagrams from this site, learning about relays, and working out the plan on paper paid off in the end. Now that it is done I'm quite proud of it. As so often happens, it grew into a larger project than I had originally anticipated.
As I dug into it I removed the passenger's side vent to gain access to the firewall grommet. What a mess that was because the plenum was filled with damp and smelly mouse nesting material-that must be where the stuffing from the original seat went. That encouraged me to clean out the driver's side vent, which was equally disgusting and required removal of the emergency brake pedal, and also replacement of the slider, which came from my parts truck.
Running the wires from one side to the other inside the cab and getting them properly secured required removal of the instrument cluster, giving me the opportunity to replace the bulbs and clean the plastic "window" and also created a new headache when the speedometer cable wouldn't fit back in to the speedometer. It turned out that a strand of the cable stuck out enough to hang it up. After much head scratching, a bit of work with the Dremel took care of that problem.
Now that the job is done the headlights are remarkably bright, the instrument cluster is nice and clean (if only the gauges worked, but that's another project), and cool air, no longer filtered through mouse nests, flows through the footwell vents, offsetting the heat from the engine.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

71Fe2O3 wrote: ...and cool air, no longer filtered through mouse nests, flows through the footwell vents, offsetting the heat from the engine.
:lol: :lol:
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

:yt:

At least you didn't get a mouse turd shower out of the defroster vents like I did after my car sat for a year while I was stationed in Germany...... 55 MPH down the interstate in a rainstorm....flipped the defroster on and almost wrecked......... I would have been happier with just the smell.......... :(

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
71Fe2O3

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

A mouse turd shower-that sounds delightful. I am thankful to have learned about that from you rather than from direct experience.
I was thinking last night, perhaps the company that makes those fragrant tree-shaped scent diffusers should make one with mouse scent for the benefit of people who don't normally drive mouse-infested cars. No charge for the idea.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts