Heater Core

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Twisted_Steel

Heater Core

Post by Twisted_Steel »

I've gotten conflicting info about this subject.. so I'll throw it out here and you guys that have done it can give a definitive answer.
Does the dash have to be removed to replace the heater core on a 1969 F100?
If it matters, it had a 240-6 banger in it from the factory. No factory A/C

I've read on here that to remove the dash the windshield has to come out because of spot welds connecting the dash to the cowl.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Heater Core

Post by sargentrs »

No it does not. Remove the screws holding the fresh air vent duct (or just the rubber clamp on the box), disconnect the heater hoses at the outside of the firewall in the engine compartment, remove the 3 bolts on the firewall in the engine compartment, and it'll practically fall out into the floor board. A helper on the inside is convenient so coolant doesn't spill out of the heater core into the floor. Supercharge the fan while you're at it! http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =a&start=0
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Twisted_Steel

Post by Twisted_Steel »

Thanks a million
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Ditto, it can be a real bear to get back in place sometimes. Take care not to tear the defroster ducts or the insulation pad. Oh yeah, the cables will fight you too. I suspect it's cold there so the rubber bits won't be as flexible either.

Good times.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

To take only the heater box out to replace the heater core. No. The only part in the dash that comes out for the heater. Is the controls. The controls do not have to be removed to replace the heater core.