No VIN tag - Suspicious?

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

68RGR
Preferred User
Preferred User

No VIN tag - Suspicious?

Post by 68RGR »

Haven't seen this truck yet but, according to the owner, the VIN plate is missing in action. And, so is the adhesive tag on the rear pillar of the driver's door. It's a '73 model truck, by the way.

The truck is currently registered and no title is issued for trucks this old. The seller provided the VIN number from the registration receipt and I can get someone to check that number for stolen. And, I know the VIN is supposed to be stamped into the frame in 2 locations. I only checked one on my truck and didn't see it. Not saying it's not there. That location was 'top side passenger side frame rail between the core support and firewall' which is a fair amount of space if you don't know exactly what you are looking for.

So . . .

1. What is the general line of thinking given that both the VIN plate and the adhesive tag are missing? (Both have the VIN on them!)

2. Can anyone give me a better idea of what to look for and where to look for the VIN stamped into the frame?

3. Would you buy this truck if you weren't certain you would be holding onto it? That is, if you wanted to sell it down the road, might the missing VIN tag and label create a problem or, at least, discourage a potential buyer?

On top of all of the above, the tag and label provide some very useful and needed info!!
Bill
68 F100 Ranger
73 F100 Ranger XLT

Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in garages. (Apologies to Kenneth Grahame.)
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: No VIN tag - Suspicious?

Post by BobbyFord »

Bring some sandpaper or steel wool and get the VIN off the frame and go from there.
SoCalRefuge

Post by SoCalRefuge »

I'm just shocked they don't title 1973 trucks where you are.

Is it possible that they doors were replaced at some point? I have a 1970 parts truck with two VIN tags, one of which matches the title. No idea if either match the frame as I haven't gotten that far. I bet the frame doesn't match the title I have. It is a 3/4 ton frame and a 1/2 ton VIN on the title.
SoCalRefuge
~67 F250 390~
68RGR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 68RGR »

I believe 35 years is the cutoff point for titles.

That means a 1978 or 1979 model (and earlier) needs no title here.

I guess the theory is most vehicles that old are of little value. Obviously, not all of them, though!

The seller says the truck is original except that it was painted 3 years ago. It could be that the mental midgets that painted it simply removed the tag and label. But, to me, having BOTH of them missing is odd if not suspicious.

It just screams, "Hey, I'm stolen" and causes potential buyers to wonder, "What the heck am I getting into?"

I know VIN plates can be changed and it can be done for legitimate reasons. So, the VIN plate is not the be all, end all, definitive indicator. But, if it's present and unmolested, it is reassuring and it contains useful information as does the label.

Plus, when it's missing, it leaves the owner/driver open to all sorts of unwanted inquiries and difficulties when dealing with government and insurance types not to mention law enforcement.

I'll try to raise the frame VIN as BobbyFord suggested.
Bill
68 F100 Ranger
73 F100 Ranger XLT

Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in garages. (Apologies to Kenneth Grahame.)
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Who knows, it's most likely a rebuild with a cab swap.

My '70 F-350 has my '71 F-250's door so I have at least 2 VIN's on mine. Of course both are titled to me.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.