My Grandfather's 1969 V8-390 Custom Cab F100

Show us your rides or projects!

Moderator: FORDification

cdightman

My Grandfather's 1969 V8-390 Custom Cab F100

Post by cdightman »

This was my Grandfather's last truck. He made many visits to the Ford Dealer in Eatonville, WA deciding options before finally placing the order. It was built, per the VIN, in San Jose, CA.

I have many memories of this truck...camping, fishing, him tossing my Brother and me into it and taking us to lunch at the "Poodle Dog", in Fife, WA, after church to see his friends. It's been sitting in my Parent's garage for years, being used as a truck...hauling stuff to the garbage dump, picking up building and gardening materials, etc. It pained me every time I saw it...I remember how much my Grandfather loved it and to see it deteriorating before my eyes was rough.

A couple of years ago I decided that I would have it restored and in December (2013) I finally decided to go for it. It's April now and it should be coming home within a week, or two (just waiting on the rear "step" bumper and the exterior mirrors).

First images show the condition the truck was in just after the shop started breaking it down for the full, off frame, restoration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cdightman on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdightman

Re: My Grandfather's 1969 V8-390 Custom Cab F100

Post by cdightman »

These images show the rusted out "stylesides" on the bed and starting to pull the truck apart.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cdightman

Post by cdightman »

The "naked" frame, the V8 390 and the transmission.
cdightman

Post by cdightman »

The rebuilt V8-390, the Tailgate ready to go (this was the first time I really got excited...seeing how the tailgate came to life after being re-painted), the V8-390 (now with valve covers) painted Ford Blue.
cdightman

Post by cdightman »

Original Hood painted Wimbledon White, wheel (sandblasted and also painted Wimbledon White, with new tire) and passenger side door (with upper cab color [Coachman Beige} visible).
cdightman

Post by cdightman »

Tailgate installed in bed (with trim), rebuilt transmission joined to rebuilt V8-390 and first image of the truck with the hood down and looking like a "real" truck.
cdightman

Post by cdightman »

V8-390 receiving it's 500 mile engine oil during preparation for initial start up, "Custom Cab" emblem and mid-Cab trim looking from Driver's Side, a look down the side of the truck bed.
cdightman

Post by cdightman »

Up on a lift getting exhaust system installed (good view of side molding and rear bed reflectors), hubcaps installed and looking sharp (the Wimbledon White really stands out around the edges) and a shot of the underside of the truck.

It's been a fun project! I've especially enjoyed watching people that had known the truck when it was "younger" coming into the shop and seeing the work being done (and sharing their memories of the truck and my Grandfather).

This will be my vehicle once it's done. It wasn't restored to sit in a garage and go to shows...it'll drive my Daughter to Soccer, go to Home Depot to get 4 x 4's, go to the garbage dump, etc. (That's mainly why the bed was rhino lined...so we can still use it as a truck and not worry about the bed paint.) I'm looking at 9 mpg, I know. The way I'm looking at it is I'm trading a car payment for a gas payment. :) I'm being told it will last longer than I will (the truck and I are the same age).

The fun part about all of this was the research. The only thing we weren't able to save off the original truck was the bed. The Stylesides were so rusted out it made sense to buy another one ($250). The funny thing is, the new bed came off a truck that had the "Ranger" trim package. We purchased the "Ranger" emblems to fill the holes in the back of the bed and then I started thinking about it (which is when I found the FORDification site). The "Custom Cab" trim would not have the Ranger emblems on it...so we removed them, welded the holes shut (which is why I included the shot looking towards the back of the bed...you can't tell there were holes there at all) and now it looks right.

The work is being done down at Resurrection Auto Body & Paint in Olympia, WA. The owner, Shawn, has been awesome to work with throughout the project and it's been a lot of fun seeing the truck go from rusted out carcass that ran but not much else to something I'm going to really enjoy driving daily. I just hope my Grandfather is able to look down and see it and that, if he is, he's got a smile on his face. :)
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Great story and beautiful job on the truck! :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
cranemec

Post by cranemec »

Nice ride!
lennyp
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by lennyp »

Awesome job. Enjoy.
cdightman

Post by cdightman »

Some pics from today...exhaust system in and brakes ready to go. Just waiting on exterior mirrors, rear "step" bumper, driver's side door panel trim and rear view mirror. Still need to install the 2nd gas tank pipe cover in the bed and put the trim back on around the tail lights. Other than that, it's ready to come home.

I added a couple of videos in the Video gallery today (a walk around and the first "voyage" under it's own power since the restoration).
390bump
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390bump »

Awesome job! Love it when old is turned into new :thup:
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

Love the story and what your plans are for the use of the truck. You did exactly what I did with mine; cleaned and freshened it all up so that it looks basically new and I USE it. Enjoy and have fun with your truck! :thup:
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
lennyp
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by lennyp »

Awesome job. Enjoy it now.