Dennis Carpenter Cab Mounts----ALERT-check yours they won't

Tell us your good and/or bad experiences

Moderator: FORDification

4x4x4crewcab
Preferred User
Preferred User

Dennis Carpenter Cab Mounts----ALERT-check yours they won't

Post by 4x4x4crewcab »

After purchasing,installing,painting,and bolting the truck back together I notice the two predrilled holes (inner fender mount) on one new metal cab mount are drilled in the wrong place. The R.H. 2 holes are drilled on the wrong side
(see attached photo). I called today inquiring about a couple things and mentioned this problem. He told me they are and have been aware of this but don't mention it as "its no big deal drill 2 more holes" and when they run out of product they will drill the next batch correct :x
I also mentioned to them I wasn't happy with the quality of their door seals----Soft foam---not the quality of originals this was a new complaint he hadn't heard of , said he would check stock and call me back.
I also mentiond the cowl lacing problem. This also he was aware of (the 67's having early and late styles) but said he can't change the catalog as they were just recently printed and it should be in the next printing...This is fine for them but why don't they mention it to you when you place your order :x Then they expect you to pay the freight back for the return then order a new one and pay more freight :bs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
1970 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 short box
1969 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
1999 Ford Windstar
1983 Chevrolet Silverado p/u
1990 Lincoln Town Car
1998 Lincoln Town Car
Does your truck need emblems? Check out http://www.onceuponapart.com
Thundercat6870

re: Dennis Carpenter Cab Mounts----ALERT-check yours they wo

Post by Thundercat6870 »

Both of my 68's are all original and are drilled the same way from the factory!!! The rubber fender piece was installed the other way on the drivers side from the factory I don't know why???
MADD MODDS Custom Restification & Fabrication
Two 68 F-100 SHB's one 4X4
68 Cougar XR-7
Three 70 Cougars, Two Xr-7's and one Eliminator clone
68 Thunderbird suicide doors W/factory console
87 Thunderbird 289 H.O. MassAir T-5
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

That kinda blows I personally don't want extra holes in my truck! :x
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I don't think I ever really paid that close attention, but both front cab mounts on my truck are factory-original and they're drilled on both sides. I'd imagine it's because the mounts are actually two pieces welded together. The front parts on both are the same, it's the rear piece of each that's different. Drilling the front piece the same on both allows them to use the same on each side, but it does leave an extra pair of open holes there for water to enter.

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

How big are the holes? I would be glad to send you a couple soft aluminum solid aircraft rivets that you could stick in there and swell up...it'd be a good seal and would look better than a screw/nut setup.
Let me know.
JH
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

those holes are about 5/16 to 3/8 bolt holes for the fender rubber to bolt to .
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

arrrghh....too big for a rivet. What about a rubber plug in them...at least you could seal it up then. Sounds like you're like I am.... you'd be the only one that would ever notice them, and it would drive you crazy! :evil:
JH
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

that would work
Tech 1

Post by Tech 1 »

Well this is a pretty old topic but I am new to the site so I might as well add my comments about the cab mounts. When I got mine I also replaced the floor pans. The pans worked great, but the drivers side cab mount was so far out of wack that I had to use a 1/2" shim under the outside portion. The holes for the inner fender were also in the wrong side on one mount. I fully expected to have to tweak them a bit but not that much. Also the aftermarket cab corners I got were so bad that I had to section them to make them work. The cab crossmember ends I got worked great. The rest of the stuff I have bought from Carpenter I am pleased with. Any time I buy aftermarket body parts I just automatically expect to have to do a lot of fitting and tweaking.