buyers and sellers on the forum

Tell us your good and/or bad experiences

Moderator: FORDification

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

buyers and sellers on the forum

Post by fordman »

is it time to have a report feature on buyers and sellers on the forums? like for those who do or do not complete slaes or those who ask for stuff and say they are mailing money but then either dont send the money or come up with soem sort of lie to get out of the sale? personally i am getting tired of removing parts for those who say they want them and then never contact you again after they say i am mailing the payment. and then i have seen one or two others who say they have had bad experiences buying and seling on the forums. or should we just name those guys? instead of having a rating put on there name?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: buyers and sellers on the forum

Post by FORDification »

Considering the amount of wheeling and dealing that goes on here, adding some form of feedback/rating/etc. might be something to think about. I'll look into it. :thup:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

over on 460 ford .com they have a little deal where yo ucan add to another's reputation. and maybe subtract from it also. i don't know. that is kind of what i was thinking. i don't think there is a need to put up a forum or thread to talk about another person. that could lead to a argument thread instead of just adding to a persons reputation.

of course discretion on rating someone would all have to be considered carefully. if the person just didn't get to the site alot that wouldn't necessarily make him a bad buyer. because he didn't answer a pm. of course no show for a seller who got paid would be a good reason to mark thier reputation. alot of thought would have to be put into ways or reasons to mark a person with good bad or ugly.
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 390Nut »

Then you have to factor in the possibility of when two people decide they don't see eye to eye on a subject, they decide to be children and throw hissy fits (that NEVER happens, right? :lol: ) and ding the other's reputation just to be spiteful. yes, it does happen, as I've seen it too many times elsewhere.

lots of things to consider in the mix. If someone is going to put positive or negative influence into someone else's rep, it should be shown WHO it is, and they should state WHY they did what they did. That should at the least keep people relatively honorable.

Just sayin'.
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10251
Dura-Spark II Conversion info at:
http://home.comcast.net/~390nut/Dura-SparkII.htm

Pipes71 did once say, "bumps and bikes.. what a great combo!" :thup:
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

yes i did think of that myself. no need to have revenge marks to mess up someones reputation. and showing who gave good or bad is a good idea i had thought of but was unsure about how it would be added to the forum as part of the reputation mark. maybe it is just to complicated to do.
foghorn
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by foghorn »

I think that maybe some kind of feed back like the bay has would be the way to go it at least gives ya a place to put why you rated them the way you did just my 2 cents worth of input.

Foggy 8)
Work is for people that dont know how to fish
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

you know what the problem really is. its the guys like greystep and oldredford that say they want soemthing and make you go out get the part spend time getting it. buying it fo rthem. and then either saying i will send the money or i dont want it now. or i have to pay for college but i dont even go to college. or saying i got it locally. some of those excuses are fine. but to let me go on and on workign to help them and they dont even bother to tell me they go tit. or they dont want it or what ever. before i go to the trouble of spending my money on parts i dont want or have a need for. or wasting my time to tear something down. other lame excuses i have recieved latley are i mailed it. the postal guys in my town have been getting in trouble for stealing postal money orders that were never cashed. i didnt name that guy. none of these and others have said its too much. or i dont want it at that price. or sent an offer. so that cant be the problem. the problem is that they are window shoppers. that i smy complaint. DONT POST A PARTS WANTED AD IF YOu DONT WANT THE PARTS. this crap is sitting here in my way now. i just threw a hand full of crap into the other room because it got all caught up in everything. no i have to go pick it up. and trash it. because they wanted these parts so badly. YEAH right.
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 390Nut »

Sorry this has happened to you, Craig. I know how it feels, first hand.

Unfortunately, thats a risk you take if it is parts you don't already own. I know it isn't any consolation, but I've been through that before, where I got parts that don't sell very easily (or very often) and ended up throwing stuff away after I spent my hard earned money (and time) on them because of the same reasons you mentioned. Been a long time since that has happened (and it wasn't here on this board) but I've since kept it to only selling what i own, usually extra parts off of trucks I have gotten for parts.
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver

Undrstm8ed

Post by Undrstm8ed »

fordman wrote:is it time to have a report feature on buyers and sellers on the forums? like for those who do or do not complete slaes or those who ask for stuff and say they are mailing money but then either dont send the money or come up with soem sort of lie to get out of the sale? personally i am getting tired of removing parts for those who say they want them and then never contact you again after they say i am mailing the payment. and then i have seen one or two others who say they have had bad experiences buying and seling on the forums. or should we just name those guys? instead of having a rating put on there name?
I know I'm a noob here but, I've been on more than 60+ forums at one time and often I was one of the vendors or @dmins. However, I wanted to throw my $ .02 into this topic.

Often or not, and we have all done it in one form or another, we bite off more than we can chew. Many times people mind and mouth over run there pocket books and the weird thing I've found is despite many of us even in our older ages. We seem to get embarrassed because we cant follow through or something happened that took priority, or worse.. hey your woman found your bump stash and went on a shoe shopping spree. I think "Fordman" asking for what many of us would like when in the situation is just a little more communication. I'm sure if something came up everyone here would appreciate a "hey, you know my daughter chipped a tooth, I cant pick those parts up right now, can you give me 30 days or something" OR "hey I changed my direction and didn't want to stiff you on a deal someone else may want". A little common courtesy is all that is being asked, and you'd be surprised how far it goes.

I am amazed at the age of those who will dodge PM's or open conversations, phone calls, and emails. Its a bit disturbing really, and I think everyone has something come up or change in our lives. Just let the other person know whats up. And honestly, my big pet peeve. Dont ask for a part unless you have the money in hand. Drives me absofuckinlutely nuts to take time away from my life, family, or my girl friend and possibly get my ass chewed on only for someone to blow me off and leave me hanging when I went beyond my way. That is just not fair in any manner and is totally disrespectful on all levels.

Kind of reminds me of a great quote; "You can get a lot with a kind word but you can get even more with a kind word and a gun" ~ Al Capone

Communication is key....
-----------------------------------------------------
72' Ford F-100 (PROJECT:: Modern Restoration)
01' BMW 328Ci *SOLD*
05' Scion xB *Marital Mutiny*
99' Civic EK Hatchie *SOLD*
92' Civic EG Hatchie (auto-X/Roadcourse/DD) *SOLD*
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

390Nut wrote:Sorry this has happened to you, Craig. I know how it feels, first hand.

Unfortunately, thats a risk you take if it is parts you don't already own. I know it isn't any consolation, but I've been through that before, where I got parts that don't sell very easily (or very often) and ended up throwing stuff away after I spent my hard earned money (and time) on them because of the same reasons you mentioned. Been a long time since that has happened (and it wasn't here on this board) but I've since kept it to only selling what i own, usually extra parts off of trucks I have gotten for parts.
gettign parts that arent mine fo rresale. hasnt got me yet. because i have always found a buyer for those parts. the more common parts i have here anyway. so that isnt a problem. its the time and then a disreguard for being honest abotu wanting a part or doing ti to me more than once from the same buyer. and i just wanted to let everyone else know in one way or another who would do stuff like that to you. if you were to try and help them. that is what i was worried about.

i have backed out of a few deals. one lately. because i am broke but wanted the parts badly anyway. but i bellied up and told the person that i couldn't spend the money. because i couldn't. i am sure the parts were easy to get rid of though.
FLASH 1

Post by FLASH 1 »

as a vendor you will be amazed on some parts pulled that just been sitting,, I have cabs here we used just for storage of parts not being claimed,,, But now in last few months our policy is will not be pulled until showing up in the yard or if doing mail order will pull part after being paid unless its some part that can have dammage that is not visible until pulled, then will pull..
Tom, where Ford Trucks Rule
1956 Big Window
1964 F-750 Flat Bed
1965 M-100 Mercury
1966 M-350 Mercury
1966 F350 Wrecker
1972 F-350 Crew Cab
1997 F-450 7.3 with 85,000 original miles
2006 F-150 Crew Cab
2008 F-650 Crew Cab Roll Back 6.7 Cummins
2020 Flat Top Peterbilt Roll Back PX-7 Engine
and 2 cars 1968 XLT and 2017 Mustang
keebob61

Post by keebob61 »

Last edited by keebob61 on Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 390Nut »

keebob61 wrote:I know where you're coming from fordman. I'm getting really sick of freezing my $*% off in the -2 degree Idaho winter to pull some part for someone who ends up backing out or not responding. :x
Now I have a whole pile of parts sitting here to trip over. :cuss:

This is why I usually pull parts first and then try to sell them. Trying to know what will sell is a guessing game, but so is counting on every single "buyer" being something other than a window shopper. Most follow through, but every now and then...
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver

keebob61

Post by keebob61 »

Last edited by keebob61 on Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TNIceWolf »

I can only speak as a buyer here. As potential buyers we have a responsibility when inquiring about parts for sale. There is time effort and potential profit from money spent involved. I see at least three sellers in this topic I have bought from. And I would not hestitate to buy from any of the three again. One thing I think each of them would tell you is that as a buyer I try to keep as up front as possible. Does that mean something hasnt come up that required me to delay payment in advance? Heck no. It has happened with all three. The thing I really enjoy about buying parts on here is that most of the sellers are just regular guys like me. They work just as hard or harder for their money than I do. And that is what makes them understanding when things dont quite go as planned. My advice to buyers would to be as careful as possible in your wording when approaching a seller. Now I dont quite agree with the having the money in hand statement above. If I have approached a buyer and let them know it might be a certain length of time before I do have the money in hand and they agree to it........in my view that is an honest transaction. Ratings or no it is still both the sellers and buyers reponsibility to judge the relative assurance of any negotiation. I'm just glad that there is such an average Joe population selling on here.
Find 'em....Buy 'em....Fix 'em.....Drive 'em....Love 'em

HHC 4/67AR.... Bandits.....88-92

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW
1989 Chevy S-10 Tahoe ( It gets me to work and back and fetches parts and groceries)
1981 Buick Regal ( My deceased uncles last project/driver....renamed project Regal Eagle to be finished in his honor)
1990 Ford F-150 ( Miss Yvonnes Daily Driver )
My F-350 project http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=41744