Need input on two post lifts

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Need input on two post lifts

Post by eggman918 »

We have finally got to the point that we can build my shop and I am planning to get a two post lift at the same time.
I need input on models and brands as I have no experience with them, I need basically a "truck lift" as my truck is at or over 8,000# and fairly wide/tall.
My plan is for a 30x40 building with 12" eaves a walk in door and a roll up bay door, i want room for my machine tools, the lift, space for a project or two and storage and I'm sure the wife would like to park her car as well, so I might also have a 20x30 covered slab poured in front at the same time.
So who has a lift what brand and model and how has it treated you so far???
Thanks in advance
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Need input on two post lifts

Post by tsherry »

I built a 40W x 30D shop last year--12' ceilings, two 10'-6" doors and one man door. All three doors are on the 40' side, with the snow / rain draining off to the sides, rather than the front--you don't want ice and rain landing in front of your doors.

if you're planning on a lift, plan on thickening the concrete slab under where the posts will go to handle the mounting bolts, and it wouldn't hurt to prepare for things like a slab-mounted vice stand and ditto for a grinder stand.

I don't have a 2 post lift, but did manage to score a low rise lift for tire and oil changes and brakes and stuff with a 6500 lb capacity for....$400. Thank you, Craigslist. Mine is made by Rotary.

I'd get schooled on various brands, and then see what CL has available--there are usually two or three two- or four-post lifts available every month or so.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

Doors and covered slab are going on the end with the peaks and it will be facing south so it will have sun in winter and shade in summer :thup:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
jamesdfo

Post by jamesdfo »

One thing to watch is what the power requirements are for the hydraulic power pak on the lift vs what power you have in your shop (110, 220, 3 phase). I know of a couple people that bought a used lift, only to find out the power pak was not compatible with their power. And replacing the electric motor on the power pak to work with their power takes a lot of the deal out of a CL deal......

James