Brake bleeder wrench brands, good - no good

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Dalton Sexton

Brake bleeder wrench brands, good - no good

Post by Dalton Sexton »

Hey guys, i just bought a brake bleeder wrench 3/8 - 5/16 Evercraft chrome vanadium from NAPA. it works fine on the back, but will not bleed my front drums on my 72 f100. It just isnt long enough to get past the bracket and settle in the groove.

NAPA Evercraft 3/8 - 5/16 part # bk 7769164 - NO GOOD

please post your wrenches and verdict. It will help the rest of us find one that works.
Ranchero50

Re: Brake bleeder wrench brands, good - no good

Post by Ranchero50 »

I use a Craftsman 1/4" drive 6 point deep well socket on brake bleeders where one will fit. I've had to beat them on damaged bleeders but I've never had one strip on a good part unlike many wrenches.

Small 1/4" drive sockets work well on broken bolts where the head is snapped off or stripped out and the threads are exposed. If the thread is stripped, drill it off and then just drive the socket over the threads and remove the bolt.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

Usually, I can gat a small box end wrench or small socket on them.

On my projects, where possible, I've changed out my Bleeders to ones that are slightly longer and have more surface area for the wrench/socket, similar to these. They make life easier. :lol:
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)
Monkey-1

Post by Monkey-1 »

I use a Craftsman set of tubing wrenches and they have been great.

I agree with using the Speed Bleeders. They do make life easier.
-Monkey-1
1985 F-150 Build Thread (CV Swap, 4.6, Frame-Off) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1519 ... 4-6-a.html
1977 F-100 Flareside Build Thread (CV Swap, 4.6, Frame-Off) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1545 ... hread.html
Studmonkeyracing.com
studmonkey@bellsouth.net