Boom Box Build for the Shop & Tailgating...

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Boom Box Build for the Shop & Tailgating...

Post by HIO Silver »

Over the past month or so I've been working on this lil deal after finding myself tired of listen to the radio in my workshop.

I'm sure ya'll have spare decks and speakers in your stashes just like me. I figure it was a good short-term project to get me through the "winter" here. I did some surfing on the web and found some boom box builds and decided to embark on my own.

Here is the 3-in-1 power pack from Harbor Freight and its guts - a 17aH 12-volt sealed lead acid battery, a computer board, and various wires. ..

Image Image

Image Image

I decided to use as much of the power pack as possible.. the control panel, 12V power ports, USB charging port, worklight, battery charger, and the bottom of the power pack as the battery box. After hacking and slashing with an air saw, here's what is left of the case.

Image Image

The various parts....I fabbed up a face plate (from an LMC patch panel) and epoxied the power ports to it.

Image Image

Image Image

The preliminary layout. The face is about 13 inches tall and 23 inches wide. I needed to buy an antenna since there was none in the parts bin.:

Image Image

Built the box, cut and routed for the components. Then dummied everything up to make sure it all works. It's a $69 Kenwood deck with AM/FM/CD with USB interface... the speakers are $36 Boss component speakers (with crossover) from Walmart.com. The total cost is about $200.

Image Image

Image Image

Then it was blown apart for paint. Here's the nearly finished product. I've got some rubber feet and a nice carrying handle on order from a pro audio shop...

IT CRANKS!!!

Version 2.0 is already in the planning stage... I'm gonna add a cigarette lighter for the helluvit. And next time it'll be aluminum to reduce the weight. This puppy is a hefty 37 pounds!
rollercam1

Re: Boom Box Build for the Shop & Tailgating...

Post by rollercam1 »

That's pretty cool!
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

That's just plain awesome!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1972hiboy »

This is your short term solution? I think many a people would consider this a more permanent set up. Id love to see your projects you do that you consider long term........ :thup:
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

1972hiboy wrote:This is your short term solution? I think many a people would consider this a more permanent set up. Id love to see your projects you do that you consider long term........ :thup:
It's a short term project... I bought the power pack in late January.....only a few weeknights and couple of weekend days have been spent working on the boom box.This one is for the workshop.... Version 2 will be for the garage.

I have a couple of long term projects... a 71 F250 and a 65 Mustang that need attention soon. Ongoing projects (operable, running, and registered!) include a 2WD 70 F100 and a 4WD 73 F100. I'm flying south on Monday to look at a Ferrari 360 Spider.
chicof100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by chicof100 »

I was going to rig up something like this for testing original radios. I don't need it this elaborate. I need to be able to remove the unit and test other units from other makes and models. You've given me a great idea on setting one up. I have everything except the power source.
If I can rig up something that just gives me 12v or whatever is needed for an original radio I'd be good.
Thanks HIO
1964 f100
292 yblock
1969 Ranger
Loving all ford vehicles
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Bluetooth, cordless, plays for well over 8 hrs on full charge, analog bass and treble, portable and sounds awesome, plays the thousands of songs from my iPhone...

https://www.marshallheadphones.com/mh_u ... burn-black
EDVSU

Post by EDVSU »

Awesome deck man. ! GJ
- Martin Gza.
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

BobbyFord wrote:Bluetooth, cordless, plays for well over 8 hrs on full charge, analog bass and treble, portable and sounds awesome, plays the thousands of songs from my iPhone...

https://www.marshallheadphones.com/mh_u ... burn-black
But can it jump start a vehicle?
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

HIO Silver wrote:...But can it jump start a vehicle?
No, but this can...and power your phone, lap top, boom box, Bluetooth speaker, etc...:D