rolling over the cab?

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Cheryl

rolling over the cab?

Post by Cheryl »

Hi, I think this might seem like a real dumb question to the more experienced builders but what is the best way to turn over a cab so that it can be welded, or repaired on the bottom side, [underneath] The cab is removed from frame and it is too delicate to just roll over, how can it be turned over without any damage to it?
Excuse me... asking for my husband as I know he has been fretting over this. Thanks for any help!, Cheryl
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: rolling over the cab?

Post by jimmy828 »

I stood up on it's back with no harm done. Put plywood down for it to rest on. Stayed like that for couple of months.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

Thanks so much for the reply. If I had taken a picture it would look just like your picture.
Thats how ours is setting right now. Yours looks good BTW!
Now how are you going to change positions on it?
In the pic...the steering wheel is up on top right side, correct? WE need to be able to work on those corners at the bottom, they have been worked from the side visible but now need attention to the "bottom" side, [or the side that is now on the ground, in the pic]
Is there any good way to roll this cab over with out any damage to any thing?
Hanging the whole thing seems be what needs done or some how to suspend it and be able to turn it around and also over.
Is yours still in this position or if not then what did you do next? Rolling on the cab top sure don't sound good.
Forgive my stupidity in asking questions. We never took one down this far and it's an eye opener.
Thank you, Cheryl
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jimmy828 »

I did replace my outer cab corners but i did that before i stood it up on it's back.While it was on the back i replaced the driver side floor pan and cab support,did a little work on the inside cab corners. I did a lot of metal work on it standing like you see in pic or just laying down in the normal position. I never laid it on it's roof. My truck has been put back together since this pic except for the bed
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

I understand and thank you for the reply. He just called and said he had all the work done on the floor and inside the cab corners etc and was putting it in the paint booth to prime. He's using a pallet jack to move it.
Putting it on it's roof was MY idea not his, doubt that would ever work.
I thank you again for your help.
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jimmy828 »

Post pics as you guys progress in your build.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Ditto.

I used a engine crane to lift mine and a tow truck as well. Crossed chains from the lower cab hing to the other side seat belt mount and had the mount as high as I could get it so the center of gravity kept it from flipping over. Too low of a mount and it wanted to turn turtle.

Once it's back over the frame you can sit it on four jack stands until the frame is in the correct position. Should keep the shiny stuff from getting scratched.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

Hey, I appreciate the help! I'd love to post some pics and would love even more seeing yours!
Where would be a good place to post them? I mean what thread?
Loved the tow truck pics, looks like what my husband would do, he uses tow truck and crane trucks for sooo many things. Handiest things around. Cheryl
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

I built the dolly shown, set the cab on it and got down on my knees to tack and weld the outer cab corners on and the floor pans in. Then rolled it over on it's back, like jimmy did, on the garage floor for the inside cab corner patch, weld the bottom of the outer cab corner and finish the paint and sealing. Our very own TylerB43 built the other dolly for his cab (great work, Tyler!). A much better idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

Wonderful! Thanks for those pics. I think he has all ready begun work on a dolly like you have pictured.
Thanks so much!
Monkey-1

Post by Monkey-1 »

Ran across this a while back and saved it for future use. Pretty easy 'Cab Dolly' he has here:
http://www.studmonkeyracing.com/forums/cab.mp4
Disregard the Brand X cab...
-Monkey-1
1985 F-150 Build Thread (CV Swap, 4.6, Frame-Off) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1519 ... 4-6-a.html
1977 F-100 Flareside Build Thread (CV Swap, 4.6, Frame-Off) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1545 ... hread.html
Studmonkeyracing.com
studmonkey@bellsouth.net
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/cab-dolly-224828.html

Lisa and Mikes design from over on hot rod forum. I just made a simple wooden frame with casters to set it on the rockers for floor and cab mount replacement.