propane torch issue

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

hedz
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

propane torch issue

Post by hedz »

my father has a old bernzomatic torch kit in a metal case. The last time i used it something malfunctioned and flame was shooting everywhere. What part went bad here? i want to repair and update his kit and give it to him for christmas. I already picked up some new flint strikers.

is something inside this brass nozzle bad? or is it the canister?

hedz
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: propane torch issue

Post by hedz »

i guess i'm going to buy a fresh can and try to ignite the torch and be ready to hail mary it just in case... process of elimination

that's what i had to do the last time because flame was shooting out everywhere near the screw on nozzle

it seems funny looking back but it definitely was not at the time
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

Looks like a cool old torch. I doubt the cylinder (tank) is the issue. I would check to make sure that the little orifice isn't in backwards or that it's not missing. I think replacement orifices are still available if it is missing.
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)
hedz
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by hedz »

Nitekruizer wrote:Looks like a cool old torch. I doubt the cylinder (tank) is the issue. I would check to make sure that the little orifice isn't in backwards or that it's not missing. I think replacement orifices are still available if it is missing.
thank you. i had no idea what the parts were called in this torch. i located the orifice which is right behind the tip i think. and yes it is clogged. i am going to soak it in gasoline and see what happens. don't have any fine wire. i wonder if someone sells a orifice cleaning kit or a tip cleaning kit... if i can't clean this orifice out i'll attempt to find a replacement by calling bernzomatic.

it probably didn't help when i sprayed the torch with a fire extinguisher a couple years ago after i hail maried it into a gumball tree while it was shooting flames out the sides of the torch about a foot long. i've been in some hairy situations but my heart beat picks up every time i recall that one.
hedz
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by hedz »

check this out! http://www.amazon.com/SEPTLS326STANDARD ... leaner+kit

thanks for the lead! :clap: :fr: