cost effective bearing heater

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

cost effective bearing heater

Post by eggman918 »

I've been rebuilding a ZF 5 speed to put behind the cummins 4BT in my '68 highboy and the manual called for a bearing heater to aid in installing the bearings and fixed parts of the syncros as all are press fits and the syncros are splines as well as a press fit.So I went to Wallmart and bought a 4 quart I think deep fryer for ~$25.00 and filled it with ~3" of 5w-20 motor oil and set the thermostat to 320*F and verified it with my infrared thermometer it was off ~ 30* low.I put the parts in and leave them for just 2 or 3 minuets after the light goes out and using a clean pair of work gloves slid them on the shaft,all but one slid right on one got cocked a bit so I taped it on with a 12 0z ball peen and a socket that fit the race it was still hot so it went on fairly easily.It was $25.00 well spent made assembly a breeze :2cents:
Hope this helps someone out.
Steve.
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
shortstack

Re: cost effective bearing heater

Post by shortstack »

Steve, thanks for the tip.

I rebuilt a T90 in our old Jeep this weekend and ran into a press fit bearing. I didn't have a press, but I did have some work lights from Home Depot.

I just took the cover off of the light, placed it about 2" away from the bearing and let it sit for 15 minutes. I didn't think it'd work, but when the block of wood I had the bearing on started smoking I grabbed the bearing with some welding gloves and slid it right on the shaft with no problems.
1971 f100 Custom, SWB, 302, T5
"It can't be that hard."
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

"Necessity is the mother of invention".........I stole the idea from a pump shop I worked at for many years it is ideal as you have complete control of the temp. the bearing gets to>I am doing the final assembly of the ZF today and I am using the heat lamp from my Bearded Dragons cage to preheat the case to install the races for the main and counter shafts left the races in the freezer over night and heated the case to ~180* and they went in with ease,temperature differential is your friend where interference fits are concerned.They don't always go right on/in but it sure helps........I still keep the hammer and punch/driver handy but more often than not I don't need them.
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

....older thread, new information.

A wet rag and a microwave used to heat a bearing.

https://youtu.be/LVODJm05plw
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.