Good tool boxes and a little organization

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Madman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Good tool boxes and a little organization

Post by Madman »

I picked up another 44" tool box from Harbor Freight.....these are great quality for the price when they go on sale. I have Husky and Craftsman boxes, but they are near the quality of these US Generals. Just make sure you pick them up yourself, and don't get them delivered, doubles the cost.
""Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet."

2017 Ford Raptor
1970 F250 4x4
1948 Willys CJ2A w/ Ford Flathead V-8
1975 Ford Bronco
Madman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Good tool boxes and a little organization

Post by Madman »

I know it has been discussed around here, so here is just my little input into hanging tools.

2017 Ford Raptor
1970 F250 4x4
1975 Ford Bronco
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jimmy828 »

glad you posted the tool boxes. Was wondering how good of tool chest they were. Might get me one!
Madman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Madman »

jimmy828 wrote:glad you posted the tool boxes. Was wondering how good of tool chest they were. Might get me one!
I don't think you will be disappointed...wait until they go on sale for around $350.

2017 Ford Raptor
1970 F250 4x4
1975 Ford Bronco
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Absolutely, I bought my first rollaway a few years ago. It was nice to get all my tools rounded up finally. They were in the trucks, the garage, the shop, in various small tool and tackle boxes.

Unfortunately I bought a Craftsman. Shortly after buying it I developed some health issues that caused me to seriously cut back/stop wrenching on things like I used to. But even with the little use it saw it completely fell apart. And it wasn't cheap.

Since then I've been hearing about the quality of the HF boxes, (the red ones, the black one is a cheap-o), and upon looking at them was impressed with them and decided to get one to replace the Craftsman box. Picked it up on sale late last year, coupled with a coupon I got a really good price, and it is a nice box. :thup:
1969 F250 Ranger Camper Special. 390, NP435, 3:73s.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. -Thomas Jefferson
zazoos

Post by zazoos »

Harbor Freight has some gems and this tool box is certainly one of them. Especially when on sale.

I added a socket organizer to the the top of mine out of 3/4 plywood. Granted diamond plate would have looked better, but plywood was quick and easy. It works great for me. I really like being able to quickly access the sockets and see which ones are missing. My wife even wrote the socket sizes in big letters next to the slots which makes finding the right socket quick.

tmgll26

Post by tmgll26 »

I have a craftsman tower toolbox, it's maybe 5 feet tall. Lots of room for whatever.
hillcountryflt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hillcountryflt »

Wish I had a picture of it, but the wife purchased me an early Father's Day gift - a 48-inch rolling cabinet and chest by Milwaukee from Home Depot. At $600 for the set, I was very surprised by the quality of the setup. Idea of having a drawer just for end wrenches and another just for metric, pleasant (:
This was some special Memorial Day thing. Our Home Depot only received 4 of the units.
1971 F100 Custom SB Flareside;
2016 Explorer;
2020 F150
2016 Harley Ultra Limited
2008 Ford Mustang Deluxe V6
KRob

Post by KRob »

I have a large craftsman roller set. But the one that get used the most is my triangular motezuma. If you have never see this style and your tools travel a lot you should check them out.

When you shut the lid it locks all the pegs that everything is either on or hung by, so when the box gets flipped over or you go down a gravel road to fast it all still stays in its spot.
71 F250 4x4, 4BT Cummins Mostly Done...Project Thread http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=65450
(4BT, big block ZF5, 78 NP205, 78 Dana 44 Front axle, 4.10, 265/75/16, power steering, power brakes)
01 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins...turned up a little.
WhitsEnd
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by WhitsEnd »

I've been looking around and can't find a good rolling chest to fit under my bench that has sufficient shallow and wide drawers at the top. I'm going to build my own and make it sufficiently heavy enough to pull out and use as a bench or welding table when needed.

All drawers will be full width, 3 shallow at the top and 2 deep at the bottom.

Metals Supermarket cut my structural stuff to length for me. Also threw in a couple scraps of same thickness to test my welder setup.

8) 1970 F100 Ranger 2WD
:thup: project link: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=83642
WhitsEnd
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by WhitsEnd »

instead of taking this thread in another direction, I should probably start my own, or just add the toolbox to my build thread...sorry.
8) 1970 F100 Ranger 2WD
:thup: project link: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=83642