Heavy duty sliding hammer

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

hillcountryflt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Heavy duty sliding hammer

Post by hillcountryflt »

Don't have pictures to support this tool, but here are the components. I had an axle on my 71 f100 that would not come out. The 5 lb sliding hammers from the parts stores did not even phase this axle. The reverse drum held on with bolts was just an exercise in futility. Was running out of options from my perspective. An old-timer at car renovating said this is the approach he used and it worked on the fifth slide:
1. 36 inch all thread, 3/4 inch bolt;
2. three nuts for that bolt;
3. three large washers;
4. the critical part - a 25 pound tractor weight (that's what he called it and he loaned it to me).

Put one nut and washer on the all-thread and run them up about 2 inches on the bar. Insert all-thread through the hole in the axle plate used for accessing the nuts holding to the axle housing.
Put on another washer and nut on the back-side to hold the all thread to the access hole. Tighten down to a reasonable degree.
Slide the heavy weight onto the assembly and place the third washer and nut on the opposite end of the all thread (might need a bigger washer than normal here depending on the opening on your weight).
You know have a heavy duty sliding hammer.
Straddle the "sliding hammer" facing the truck.
Grip weight and "throw" it down the all thread away from the truck.
Took five efforts on my stuck axle to pull it out.
1971 F100 Custom SB Flareside;
2016 Explorer;
2020 F150
2016 Harley Ultra Limited
2008 Ford Mustang Deluxe V6
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Heavy duty sliding hammer

Post by ToughOldFord »

Good tip, thanks for sharing. :thup:

Olde-tymers know all the good stuff.
1969 F250 Ranger Camper Special. 390, NP435, 3:73s.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. -Thomas Jefferson