Sand Blaster

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Sand Blaster

Post by jor »

I'd like to get a sandblaster to clean parts but I'm not sure what kind would be appropriate. I'd like to be able to clean small parts and also be able to blast away at a frame rail or something. Anyhow, I read Keith's air compressor thread and I've done some searching for advice elsewhere but I haven't found much. I did find a lot on eBay but it is almost all new. I would prefer to get it on eBay because I have a $150 gift certificate that is burning a hole in my pocket.

I have a home type air compressor (5hp, 33 gal tank, 6.4 gpm at 90 psi). Anyhow, what would you all recommend? Thanks.
jor
FoMoCo
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Sand Blaster

Post by FoMoCo »

Looks like you need a bigger compressor. I have a 65G ingersol that barly keeps up with a small bench top blasting cabinet. Be sure to get a water filter either way.

Nick
1969 F-100
2006 Fusion SEL
2006 e-320 cdi
2004 excursion V-10
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I agree....your compressor won't be nearly big enough to do any kind of sandblasting. You're gonna burn that thing up pretty quickly, since it'll have to basically run all the time in a vain attempt to keep up. Compressors were designed with duty cycles in mind, to prevent them from overheating.

If you're thinking about picking up a compressor for doing some sandblasting but have a limited budget, I'd starting watching some of the local auctions, both small business and farm...you can often pick up some good deals on good used equipment from someone selling out.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Thanks for your input, Nick and Keith. I suspected as much re the size of the compressor.
jor
shrektruck

Post by shrektruck »

A bigger compressor will be a help. If you already have a small compressor like mine (4HP 13 gal) you can blast with a pressure pot setup.
It puts the air on top of your blast media so you don't waste air picking it up. They cost about $100 bucks at Harbor Freight.
Also, Look around for a cabinette. I never did find one that suited me so I went to the scrap yard and built my own. Buying one this size was looking like an 1000-1500 dollar proposition. I welded it up in an afternoon for about $75 bucks. I use it mostly for custom glass etching but can fit a 390 block in it if I have to.
It's a simple angle iron frame with a sheet metal cover and glass held on with mirror clamps. Here's a pic:

It's a nice addition to the shop and was well worth the afternoon it took to build.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.