tool i saw on a tv show

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

hillcountryflt
Preferred User
Preferred User

tool i saw on a tv show

Post by hillcountryflt »

We were watching one of those auto repair shows recently an the repair guy used a tool that allowed you to create a butt joint on a body repair panel but it created an overlap of about an inch or more behind the part being joined to. Seems like this would make a pretty strong joint.
1971 F100 Custom SB Flareside;
2016 Explorer;
2020 F150
2016 Harley Ultra Limited
2008 Ford Mustang Deluxe V6
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: tool i saw on a tv show

Post by sargentrs »

Are you referring to a panel flange? http://www.eastwood.com/ew-panel-flanger.html
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
hillcountryflt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hillcountryflt »

Yes sir, that would be the tool. Are they useful.
2016 Explorer;
2020 F150
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

I love mine, but it can leave a portion of raw metal inaccessible to primer and rustproofing. I'll tell you in 30 years if it's a problem. :wink:
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
hillcountryflt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hillcountryflt »

One would not necessarily crimp all the way around a repair piece correct? Perhaps just to create some tabs to hold the panel in place?
2016 Explorer;
2020 F150
undertakerman

Post by undertakerman »

I bought the same tool a couple of years ago. If you're planning on using it on 18 and have a strong hand grip it won't work very well. 20 it works a little better. The higher the gauge it works better. As you know the higher the gauge the thinner the metal. The lower the gauge the thicker the metal is. The best gauge to use it on is 26. I bought an air powered flange tool and it works better on 18 than using a the hand operated one. I use weld through primer on the flanged piece and on the patch panel to insure rust protection. :thup: :thup: :thup:
You know man can live alone, but he cannot live without Peanut Butter and Grape Jelly.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

tsherry wrote:I love mine, but it can leave a portion of raw metal inaccessible to primer and rustproofing. I'll tell you in 30 years if it's a problem. :wink:
Weld-thru primers are available.
undertakerman

Post by undertakerman »

BobbyFord wrote:
tsherry wrote:I love mine, but it can leave a portion of raw metal inaccessible to primer and rustproofing. I'll tell you in 30 years if it's a problem. :wink:
Weld-thru primers are available.
I buy my weld thru primer from Eastwood. It runs between 10 and 15 dollars a can. :thup: :thup: :thup:
You know man can live alone, but he cannot live without Peanut Butter and Grape Jelly.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

I mention thos tool on here before. And i was convinsed that having a lap joint could trap water and cause the joint to rust faster. Weld through primer in my opinion coyld be burnt through and not be as effective. The panel flange tool does seem like a really great butt joining method. But i would rather tact weld that kind of joint and rust proff the joint after welding. As far as that goes. They also make a panel glue. It like liquid nails. U glue ur new piece onto the vehicle. Possibly after makung panel flanges on the repair.