Good Tools To Have

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Good Tools To Have

Post by Subzero »

I've been working on engines for awhile now and I have some tools, mostly basic, but a few specialty ones. I hate taking the truck in the shop just because I don't have the proper equipment and I want to invest in some tools to avoid that. I do not have a big amount of money to spend on tools and I also want to get good quality ones up front ( Snap-On, MAC, or Craftsman). What I have now are ratchets, screwdrivers, wrenches, grinder, drill, Dremel, and some other basics like that. I was thinking of getting a timing light, vacuum gauge, and compression testing kit in the next few weeks so I can find out what kind of shape my engines in and tune it better. What would be some other good tools to have that you'd recommend?
1972 F100 Sport Custom-2WD, Aqua Blue and Wimbleton White, LWB, 302 V8 and C4 trans, P/S, P/B - under construction

Gone but not forgotten: 1968 F100 Ranger- 2WD, LWB, original rebuilt 360 V8, Autolite 2bbl carb, C6 Trans, Hedman Headers, Powermaster Racing Starter, H-Pipe and Glasspacks, P/S, P/B, A/C
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Good Tools To Have

Post by sargentrs »

If you're still running points, a dwell meter is essential. I'd also pick up a fuel pressure gauge set and a vacuum pump/brake bleed kit. A flex head ratcheting box end wrench set is handy. It's one of those things you don't use often but on those occasions you're glad you have it. One of the most useful things I own is a twist grip ratchet. Great for those bolts/nuts that are awkward to get to by hand but too loose for the ratchet to work. You know the one's, you have to put on an extension so you can hold it or you spin the ratchet handle like a helicopter. :x I've had good experiences with Stanley and Husky tools also. Available at Walmart and Home Depot, lifetime warranty, and a little less expensive than the Mac and Craftsman. And if you don't have one, a torque wrench. Don't cheap out on that one. Buy the best you can afford, I've broken 3 cheap one's in the past 5 years.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Subzero »

Thanks, I think I might be able to buy most of those. I do have some Stanley tools but not much. I'm still running points and I'mnnot planning to switch over to electronic, so the dwell meter is something to get then. I have a beam torque wrench, its a cheap $20 Craftsman one and I need to trade it in. Its already not working properly ( never sits at zero).
1972 F100 Sport Custom-2WD, Aqua Blue and Wimbleton White, LWB, 302 V8 and C4 trans, P/S, P/B - under construction

Gone but not forgotten: 1968 F100 Ranger- 2WD, LWB, original rebuilt 360 V8, Autolite 2bbl carb, C6 Trans, Hedman Headers, Powermaster Racing Starter, H-Pipe and Glasspacks, P/S, P/B, A/C
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

A good quality click type is much easier to use and more consistent. Check eBay for a good, old school dwell/tach. Here's a couple I saw. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sears-E ... c4&vxp=mtr and a more basic http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sears-Tach-Dwel ... 43&vxp=mtr
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

A good set of ratcheting wrenches, like these:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-20pc-com ... 935720000P

You won't believe how handy they are!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

Subzero wrote:I've been working on engines for awhile now and I have some tools, mostly basic, but a few specialty ones. I hate taking the truck in the shop just because I don't have the proper equipment and I want to invest in some tools to avoid that. I do not have a big amount of money to spend on tools and I also want to get good quality ones up front ( Snap-On, MAC, or Craftsman). What I have now are ratchets, screwdrivers, wrenches, grinder, drill, Dremel, and some other basics like that. I was thinking of getting a timing light, vacuum gauge, and compression testing kit in the next few weeks so I can find out what kind of shape my engines in and tune it better. What would be some other good tools to have that you'd recommend?
I'm like you too. I don't like getting a shop to work on my vehicles, especially if it's something that I could do myself.

Well, definitely the tools that you've already mentioned are good tools to have. If you do buy a compression tester, try to get the one with the hose and fittings that threads into the spark plug holes. I'd really miss my timing light and vacuum guage if I didn't have them. They make life so much easier. A mechanic's stethoscope can come in handy too for finding and diagnosing noises.

If you don't already have a torque wrench, one of them would be a good investment. If you're going to be going inside your engines, a piston ring compressor and a ring expander would be good ideas too.

Yes, I agee with you, definitely buy quality tools so that you don't end up having to buy the same tools twice. If you can find a brand that has a no questions asked "lifetime warranty", that's the brand I would go with. :)
Last edited by Nitekruizer on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

:oops: :)

:fr:
Last edited by Nitekruizer on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

Extra posts deleted. :oops: :)
Last edited by Nitekruizer on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

:)

:oops: :lol: :)
Last edited by Nitekruizer on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

Ooops! Sorry about the extra posts. :oops: :lol:
Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Subzero »

Here's the tools I want to try and get, I will add more in days to come as I look around:

3 Ton Floor Jack
http://m.craftsman.com/productdetails.d ... ductResult

Compression Testing Equipment
http://m.craftsman.com/productdetails.d ... wordResult

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Those are both good deals and Craftsman quality to boot. Good buy!
Randy
Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Subzero »

I saw some sales at Sears so I just picked up a new Craftsman 4 ton jack and 2 four ton jack stands. The jack was on sale for $160 and the stands were on clearance for $32. The stands had been used lightly( probably from those Sears rent-a-tool guys) but nevertheless, they are very nice. The 4 ton jack will allow me to lift whatever I could imagine and I figure if its the only jack I want to ever buy. Its weights a lot to lug around too. The bumps weigh about 4800-5000 lbs Im guessing so thats well within the jacks range. None of the vacuum or compression equipment was on sale so I will get that when it comes on sale to save a little cash.

Edit: I hadn't checked out the reviews on the Craftsman website yet until now and discovered some bad news, apparently all Craftsman jacks are junk and fail after a few uses. I would not expect a name like Craftsman to have bad equipment for jacks so I never bothered to even look at reviews. Looks like I will be returning the jack. I'm still keeping the stands though.

Anyone have a particular jack brand they like or have had good results with? I still want to stick with a 4 ton or 3.5 ton so if I buy any size truck I can not have to worry about jacking it up. My price range is $100-$200.
Last edited by Subzero on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Subzero, Don't forget a good air gauge, grease gun, grease, a pack of extra grease zerks , oil filter wrench.
I agree with Mr FlyBoy on the flex ratchet wrenches , also get a set of the stubby or short flex ratchet wrenches, they are good for tight areas.
My advice on the Flex ratchet wrenches is to first buy the flex ratchet wrench that has the little latch on it so the flex can be held to the desired position.

A good welder is handy too. Buy what ever you can afford but I use my mig welder most often.

A nut splitter , tap & die set, a good 18v or larger cordless drill , impact wrench, light, sawz all, grinder set. My advice on this is pick ONE size and brand you will use for mechanic and home use and buy ALL of that brand and size only , this way you have plenty batteries/chargers and they will all interchange.

A good air compressor with all the accessories, & all the air tools too, a air press is handy too.
Maybe a sand blaster, paint gun & accessories.

A couple more good jack stands ( you need 4), and 2 ramps.

A good vice , and different types of hammers, also large pry bars too.

The good thing about buying good tools, (if you take care of them) they will last you a life time.

You can NOT get too many tools. If you live long enough you will need every one of them.
You are not wasting money buying tools if you use them to prevent paying a mechanic to work on your vehicles.
If you saved bill repair bill at a garage , it would pay for a lot of tools these days.

Sounds like you are going about this in the correct way. Just take your time, make good decisions and look for sales.
Buy the tools you think you will need the most first.

Good luck.
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

Been using my Shop Craft 4 ton floor jack and stands a lot for many years. The jack has the high lift that is needed for Ford trucks. Works great.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8