Home Made Tools

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Madman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Home Made Tools

Post by Madman »

No picture as it really doesn't show much, but I took the old and being replaced carrier bearings out of my Dana 60, used a grinding disc, and ground out the center portion of the removed bearings until they could slip on and off the carrier with a slight amount of force. I can use this as set up bearing when determining correct shimming for ring and pinion set up. Took about 45 minutes for the work on both.
""Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet."

2017 Ford Raptor
1970 F250 4x4
1948 Willys CJ2A w/ Ford Flathead V-8
1975 Ford Bronco
timmytim
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by timmytim »

Madman wrote:No picture as it really doesn't show much, but I took the old and being replaced carrier bearings out of my Dana 60, used a grinding disc, and ground out the center portion of the removed bearings until they could slip on and off the carrier with a slight amount of force. I can use this as set up bearing when determining correct shimming for ring and pinion set up. Took about 45 minutes for the work on both.
sounds like my kind of tools.....
:fr:
buy'em dirty sale'em clean
get more money for the same
machine.....
:loco:

My 1967 bump: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 09#p668209

My 1970 Bump: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 16&t=50726
Madman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Madman »

You'd have to spend over $130 for the set up bearings if you bought them, a little determination and I have the same thing!

2017 Ford Raptor
1970 F250 4x4
1975 Ford Bronco
Madman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Madman »

Also found another use for an old race......great for driving in big seals, like the pinion seal on my Dana 60.....the Outer Pinion Race was perfect!

2017 Ford Raptor
1970 F250 4x4
1975 Ford Bronco
Madman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Madman »

Here is one hell of a home made tool, my 12 ton press! My Dad fabricated it many years ago, and gave it to me before he died.....

2017 Ford Raptor
1970 F250 4x4
1975 Ford Bronco
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I was just telling my wife the other night how much I'd like to have one of those, but maybe 20 ton. :D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
Madman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Madman »

flyboy2610 wrote:I was just telling my wife the other night how much I'd like to have one of those, but maybe 20 ton. :D
You could build one too, and simply use a 20 ton bottle jack, God knows my old man waaaay over engineered the thing, I could probably go to 30 tons on the frame!

2017 Ford Raptor
1970 F250 4x4
1975 Ford Bronco
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Red Green

you'd better be right.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

I got caught up in the shop press building thing. I split the frame on my (supposedly) 30 ton Taiwan shop press frame with a 35 ton jack. So I did what any sane person would do and bought a 100 ton hydraulic cylinder and 10HP power 3000 PSI power unit off craigslist. I haven't finished it yet, but I can tell you that a 10.5" bore cylinder with a 13" stroke and 9" stem weighs 1800 lbs by itself. I'm shooting for 4' between the columns and general versatility.

BTW if your looking for BIG press cylinders find someone scrapping out old injection molding machines.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

I have a few things from over the years,I dont get to show off very often so here goes.
First is a case spreader for Dana 44/60 when I did the Cummins swap I re geared to 3.54's and TruTracs so I wanted quite a bit of preload so it was needed to make the job manageable
Next is a tool to true the faces in the housings they were WAY out of square after so many years of service using emery paper and two sided tape and driving it with a piece of all thread and drill motor it did a real nice job
This one is a Dana 44 front spindle socket made from the spindle from a Willys 4x4 wagon and an old socket.
This is a puller foe the injection pump gear on the 4BT I cut it down to this size from a puller I made when re gearing my axles so it has served me on 3 jobs so far
The rest is tooling for my little machine shop having not collected a paycheck in over a decade I am required to make most of my tooling as I have LOTS of time and VERY little money
this is a boring bar holder for a bar much bigger that my little lathe should have bolted to it.
next is a fly cutter for my mill
this is a "bull nose center for the lathe used mostly for turning pipe and tubing
a spring loaded "tapping center"
This one is a boring head I built to bore my divorced NP 205 for the big bearing that the married cases use for the 203/205 adapter
last is a pair of V blocks

all of these show what a bit of ingenuity and a LOT of time can do to overcome a lack of funds.
Thanks for letting me showoff some of my "junk"
Steve.
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Those are some nice tools! You should go into business as a job shop machining projects. :thup:
Red Green

you'd better be right.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

Thank's I would like to but my shop is barely adequate as a hobby shop,but my luck may be changing as it looks like I might be getting finely disability and if I'm lucky back to at least 2010 and possibly as far as 2002 if that happens I want to buy a small shop that has enough work to pay it's bills and support a couple of full time apprentices.At this point in my life I want to teach the skills that I have spent the last 34 years learning.I was fortunate enough to learn my trade from the Men that fought WW2 and built the Mercury,Gemini and Apollo program and I learned building the Shuttle and many things during the military buildup in the "80's,then I worked in the heavy industry repair field in the "90's so I want to teach the pre-numerical control skills of one-off machining,prototype,tool and die and repair it's a dying field yet is still and always will be needed.Even as crippled up as I am I can still teach and on a good day even be fairly productive but the good days are few and far between and the amount of pain meds I'm on make working for others impossible.But you HAVE to have a dream or at least a goal to keep getting out of bed in the morning and that's mine :wink:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

eggman918 wrote:.But you HAVE to have a dream or at least a goal to keep getting out of bed in the morning and that's mine :wink:
I'll be praying that things work out well for you! :thup:
Red Green

you'd better be right.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Steve, those are all great! I really like the Dana housing saver. That's slick and I've seen that problem countless times on older axles.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

Steve--you've got some great tools there! Nicely done!
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.