What size air compressor should I buy?

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

mrtleavitt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

What size air compressor should I buy?

Post by mrtleavitt »

Hey guys, came into some extra cash and want to buy an air compressor for the garage. I've always bought craftsman stuff and have been very happy with their quality so far. I'm thinking a vertical setup but I'm not sure on the tank size, motor size (hp), and I'm not too sure on the CFM ratings and such. Any and all input would be appreciated. Main uses will be tires, impact wrench, some sanding and die grinding, maybe some painting in the future. I just bought a '67 Mustang Coupe and it would sure be nice to have some air powered tools to restore it with since now I'm away from my Gpa's shop which is loaded with everything. I'm tired of the Autozone $30 air compressor that takes about an hour to pump up my truck tires. I was looking to spend $100-$400.
1969 F100 428 with T19, 3.00 9inch 31 spline w/ Detroit Trutrac, '74 frame swap successful!
http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e356/mrtleavitt/
fbomb100
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: What size air compressor should I buy?

Post by fbomb100 »

well you'll going to spend more then 400 for an new vertical set up to keep up with an air sander, die grinder, cut off wheel.
I would not get a craftsman one they cost wayyy too much.I have a husky 60 gl one from home depot 7 hp 220v( i did'nt buy it as mine naybor gave me it for redoing his heads on his motorhome he bought ,,that was on top of what i was payed for doind it))its ok it works for what i need for now but like to put a bigger air pump on it to keep with the air grinder better ,,it does a good job but when useing it a lot it has a hard time keeping up some
but with mine it stays in one spot as its too big to move!! if you like to roll yours around ..your going to have to get one thats no bigger than 30 or 40 gal , 5 hp ,110 v, but you got to wait for the tank to fill up a lot more if your useing the air tools heavly
it comes down to this how much work are you going to do with your compressor!!! thats the bottom line
Last edited by fbomb100 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrsnicks
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrsnicks »

Save your money and look on craigslist. You'll want at least a 60gallon compressor with at least a 13-15cfm rating. Prepare to wire your garage for 220V if you haven't as most that size are not 110V. I also put rubber wheeled casters under mine 1. to move it around a little and 2. for vibration reduction. Most people say mount it to the floor, or on a pallet with rubber or hockey pucks but I haven't had a problem. I'll try to remember to take some pics.

Patrick
Chevrolet
Can Hear Every Valve Rattle on Long Extended Trips

1969 F100 4X4 Highboy 390 3sp
1969 F100 SWB 2wd Auto 351w
1972 F100 Ranger XLT 302 Auto

http://mrsnicks.blogspot.com
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10336
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

I bought a Campbell Hausfeld 60 gallon vertical at Tractor Supply for $380. Lowes carries them too but around here they are $50 more there. Im happy with it so far but if you get it, you might want to pull the 1/4" drain valve on the bottom and replace it with a decent one. Mine stopped sealing, then while I was screwing around with it it blew out across the floor at full tank pressure and my ears were ringing for days. These compressors have no regulator so you will need a regulator and filter unit also to install on it. I kept mine on the wood skid it came on but it tends to walk around a bit so Im usually moving back where it belongs after a day of use. All in all it was a good deal.
-Jeff

1971 F-100 240 straight six, 3 on the tree (parted out)
1972 F-100 302 auto trans, pwr steering, pwr brakes (under construction)
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" Dwight Eisenhower
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

I’ve yet to find a cheep one that will keep up with a sander/grinder & I'm no painter but always been told that you need higher constant CFM to lay down a good paint job. From the ones I've had (1 30gal 3hp & 2 different 60gal 5hp) all cheep as for build, not price :lol: :pout: I say save your money do some research and buy the best one you can afford. I have done that now finally after these 3 so called "matanance free" ones have all crapped out. A good 60 gal 5hp to 7hp will run you around $800.00 and up. My Ingersoll Rand has been absolutely awesome! 5 HP, 60GAL 18.1 CFM @ 90 PSI, 230 Volt. Craigslist might not be a bad idea, good brands to look for would be Ingersoll Rand, Atlas Copco, some others on here might have other ones they can recommend but if you happen to come across a Curtis Toledo older model (1980’s) for a good price grab it. The Masterline Curtis Toledo’s are almost bullet proof. Back in 2007 I got one from my work (for Free!!!) I then took it to a service shop and had them do some maintenance ($250.00) and just check it out. The Guy there was all over it he wanted to buy it from me right then and there. $2000.00 cash for a 22 year old 1985 model! :eek: I didn’t take the cash, I wanted the air compressor. It turned out I couldn’t use it cause it had a 3 phase motor on it. I did some research on them and found out why he wanted it….. There are companies that are reselling them for almost $5000.00!!! I sold it for $2500.00 not to bad for a $250.00 :yip: investment. Anyway Good luck hope you find one that works for you.

Just my :2cents: ............... ok maybe a little more than that :D :lol:
"FoPar" because I love Fords and Mopars so just call me FoPar... :D
big block

Post by big block »

i got two running in my shop and need more the one i have for the paint booth is a ingersal rand 7.5 hp 80 gallon keeps up with my painter ok but on a big all over he needs more . if he is spraying you can do nothing else with that compressor painting takes alot as a big 9 in grinder will run it down quick to. that size will keep up with any thing else. get as big as you can afford. wes :D
69 bronco 4x4 - 70 bronco tube chassies 4x4 351-w c-6 - 65 f-100 w/69 429- c-6 - 03 ranger 4x4 - 99 f-350 4x4 diesel
ssbenn11

Post by ssbenn11 »

Ingersoll Rand has good stuff. They have a variety of different sizes and prices so you could probably get whatever you need based on how much you want to spend. Check out the website IR Air Compressors
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

I have a 26gal Husky, upright, 110. It does ok, but I do have to give it a few seconds to catch up now and then. At times wish I had gotten a bigger one, but I can roll this one around the shop and out into the drive.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
towtruckerfour
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by towtruckerfour »

I bought a 20 Gallon Campbell-Hausfield upright air compressor from Lowes. It is 110 and it does everything I have needed it to do so far with my projects. I think I paid about 200 bucks for it.
Troy
Why is it that the trucks are always the best running vehicles in the family?
Ford means "found on road daily"
70 F100 Custom-352 w/68 Highboy 4x4 frame. My play/project truck
70 F250 Explorer-390/C6 auto. My work truck
04 Mitsubishi montero-family car
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

The best advice I can offer for compressor shopping is do plenty of research. Familiarize yourself with what makes a junk compressor, what makes an OK hobby compressor and what makes a real industrial unit.

Aluminum= low quality
Plastic= junk
"oilless" (no crankcase oil)= total junk (oil free compressors and oilless are different things)
decent compressors have full pressure oiling to the rod bearings.
Good compressors have full flow oil filters
good compressors have intake unloaders
Nothing at a big box store is a good deal or good quality. The products they sell are designed from the ground up to meet a pre-determined price-point. They are designed with one thing in mind: Selling

IR sold out long ago, they are at the bottom of the barrel for quality today. Quincy still has thier QR recip lineup, made the same as it has been for 60 years or so. Atlas Copco did buy Quincy earlier this year, but AC is a company with a strong reputation for quality.

I bought my Quincy 325 for $300 used. It wasn't difficult to find. It ran in a printing plant 24/7 from 1981 through 2005 or so when I bought it. I cleaned the valves and put it in use.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

To each their own. :thup:
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8