Mechanic needed in Los Angeles!

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Theodora1985

Mechanic needed in Los Angeles!

Post by Theodora1985 »

Hi! I know most of you probably work on your own trucks, but would anyone be able to recommend a good mechanic in (east) Los Angeles, CA? I just purchased a 1967 F100 and need a good/reliable/honest mechanic (I'm slowly learning about parts, but am no where near being knowledgeable enough at this point).
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Mechanic needed in Los Angeles!

Post by robroy »

Good evening Theodora1985,

Congratulations on your 1967! That's my favorite year for these trucks.

I realize that my recommendation's probably much too far away to be useful for you, but I figured it was better to speak up and contribute than to say nothing.

The finest general service garage I've hired so far has been Park Automotive Services in Palo Alto, California.

It's a shop run by two men: Don and Dennis. They're both super experienced, they've always been amazingly generous with me, and their work is immaculate. Age is a relative thing and I wouldn't call them "old guys," but most people probably would; they're between perhaps 50 and 70 years old. I tend to think of people as being old when they act old, which neither of these guys do. But they are unusually experienced and have obvious old-fashioned, quality values.

I'm not sure how much experience you have with hiring mechanics, especially for older cars, so I don't mean to assume that I'm able to advise you on that. That said, my opinion's that the best shops are often small, locally owned and operated, and have all the work done by older, seasoned mechanics. In the ideal situation, the mechanic you hire will be obviously fond of your older vehicle and will be happier working on it than just about anything else! I'm sure that there are many bright and capable young mechanics out there, but I think older mechanics tend to be more comfortable working on these old vehicles, and tend to have more general experience.

Naturally, a strong recommendation for some individual mechanic overrides all tendencies!

Theodora1985, I wish you great fortune with finding an ideal mechanic!
Robroy
Theodora1985

Re: Mechanic needed in Los Angeles!

Post by Theodora1985 »

Hey thanks for getting back to me! I think that both those places are too far to drive to just get some minor work done. :( But if I ever need to do some major rebuilding or restoration I will keep those in mind. Thanks again for the very thoughtful responses!!