Bought a Harbor Frieght wire feed welder today.

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

hdpusher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Bought a Harbor Frieght wire feed welder today.

Post by hdpusher »

I went out on a limb today and bought a Harbor Freight 90 amp wire feed welder. :pray: I had a coupon and the final price was 89 bucks so what the heck. At that price I just have to try it. I knew before hand this IS NOT a mig welder its a wire feed welder. It has no shielding gas it uses flux wire. It has two power setting low and high with a duty cycle of 10% @ 80 amps and 18% @ 60 amps.
Assembly and set up was easy. I didn't need the directions. Now for the good part. It actually works and not to bad. :thup: I've been rebuilding my 1650 Cub Cadet and I needed to weld a few parts. On the High setting I welded 1/4” bar stock to the ¼” engine cradle with no problems. Then on the Low setting I welded tubing for my exhaust stack and it worked just as good. I even welded the joints from inside the tubing just to see what would happen and had no problems.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9187/pics050.jpg
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/7850/pics053.jpg

It comes with a 90 day replacement warranty and you can purchase an additional 2 year replacement if you chose. They also have replacement tips and some parts in house.

:box: I didn't start this post for everyone to bash China Town Tools or my decision where to spend my money. I just posted to let you know my experience with the welder. I come from a welding background and I know what quality is.

I've also had good luck with Harbor Freights motorcycle lift. My old Cub Cadet is heavy.
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/5661/pics051.jpg

If you decide to try it I hope you have as much luck as I have. It paid for itself on just one job.
67 Chevy II 302 sbc
67 Ford F350 Motor home
68 Ford F100 long bed (Sold :cry: )
78 CJ5
03 Dodge Cummins
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Bought a Harbor Frieght wire feed welder today.

Post by hazelnut »

looks like it put down a nice bead, I went by harbor Freight to buy a mig welder that was on sale about 2 months ago and none in stock, after a 45 minute drive i wanted to go home with a welder. The welder you bought was $160 if i remember right, i keep hearing about the $100 welder and how good they work but havent bought one yet.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Looks like it does a decent job! Of course, the operator has to have some credit as well! :thup: :thup:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
Scarecrow67

Post by Scarecrow67 »

I'm new to welding and purchased an arc welder from harbor freight. I haven't had time to play with it. Just thought I'd use it to get some practice. Would this wire feed welder be a good option to help weld on the truck rather than getting a mig welder?
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Scarecrow67 wrote:I'm new to welding and purchased an arc welder from harbor freight. I haven't had time to play with it. Just thought I'd use it to get some practice. Would this wire feed welder be a good option to help weld on the truck rather than getting a mig welder?
Well, I don't know why it didn't post my reply. :hmm:
But I think the welder would be OK for general welding, but it might run a bit too hot for sheet metal.
Last edited by flyboy2610 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
RTG_RACING
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by RTG_RACING »

I have used a Lincoln that wouldn't weld that good. But I wouldn't trade my Miller for anything.
hdpusher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdpusher »

Yes the welder I bought sells for around $149-169. This weeks sales flier has it on sale again for $89. The Mig welder is also on sale for $159ish :hmm: Not sure about the $100 welder. Is it the acr welder? I've read some fair reviews about it.
hazelnut wrote:looks like it put down a nice bead, I went by harbor Freight to buy a mig welder that was on sale about 2 months ago and none in stock, after a 45 minute drive i wanted to go home with a welder. The welder you bought was $160 if i remember right, i keep hearing about the $100 welder and how good they work but havent bought one yet.
67 Chevy II 302 sbc
67 Ford F350 Motor home
78 CJ5
03 Dodge Cummins
67F250CS
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 67F250CS »

flyboy2610 wrote:Looks like it does a decent job! Of course, the operator has to have some credit as well! :thup: :thup:

That is for sure. I bought one of these a long time ago (Still works fine) and the first few times I did nothing but poke a bunch of holes in my rocker panel. Turned down machine and then all I did was get the wire stuck to the rocker panel and had to use wire cutters to free up the wire :doh:
1967 F250 Camper Special
10MPG with key off, in neutral and going downhill!
cdeal28078
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cdeal28078 »

I have the Lincoln weldpac 100 I think it is using the .035 flux core wire. I have a hard time welding things like the inner fenders on my daughters 96 Mustang without burning through it unless I use a backer.
I have welded a lot of stuff on my 71 F100 with no problems so I would think you shouldn't have any trouble. Your welds look fine so you shouldn't have any trouble. For that kind of money I would have rolled the dice also. Nice buy. I have bought several things from them.
clint
71 F100 SportCustom
460 C6. Disc Brake/Power-steering/automatic Swap. 3.00
1986 Bronco 5.0 AOD
jnash40

Post by jnash40 »

i got the same welder from harbor and i welded on the ole bump just fine so far...i like the fact that there is no sheilding gas
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

I bought the same welder a year or more ago, love the thing.

On my -250, I've been welding up the trim holes in the bed with it, using a 16D nail, through the hole from the rear, tacked in place, allowed to cool, then welded up full. Shaft of the nail falls off, weld needs a little filing or grinding to get it down to level, some needed a tiny little bit of filler.

Also used it to patch up one of the rear corners of the doors, trailing edge of the front fenders, it's great. Recommended it to many others... :wink:
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
fbomb100
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fbomb100 »

I wish u well with the welder that u have bought!! i have bought one and will never ever buy one from them again!!I thought buying one from there would be fine for me to start out with! It was the biggist pice of s%*t and it was a waste of my hard earned money! I got tiered takeing it back to the store ,i did this 3X !!!for get it I got store credit for it as they did'nt want to give my money back,U get what you pay for!!!
I have bought alot of things from them over the years and alot is still working fine but never a weller again!
so I bought a miller 211 mig welder( and it cost me both arms and legs and my 3 week ends lol ) and had not a one thing go bad at all with it yet ,( knock on wood) just my :2cents:

:fr:
hdpusher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdpusher »

Just an update:
I have been using my HF welder for allot of small projects in the shop for the last 5 months. It has made me enough money to pay for it 4x over. I just used it all day to tac weld 3/16 and 1/4 thick cross members on a log trailer were building and it did a good job (not the best but good). Keep in mind it is NO industrial welder. I welded one 3/16" crossmember in with the HF and the weld turned out close to the Miller but the HF took way way to long. Weld penitration was decent through the frame rail but again not as good as the Miller.
I have used 1 full role of wire and still have the original tip in it. I have done only maintenance type work to it. Cleaning, wire feed adjustments and it has performed without any problems.
67 Chevy II 302 sbc
67 Ford F350 Motor home
78 CJ5
03 Dodge Cummins
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

hdpusher are you still liking the HF welder? I am getting ready to buy a welder, (110), still thinking on the Lincoln K2185-1, or :?
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
91Bear
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 91Bear »

fbomb100 wrote:I wish u well with the welder that u have bought!! i have bought one and will never ever buy one from them again!!I thought buying one from there would be fine for me to start out with! It was the biggist pice of s%*t and it was a waste of my hard earned money! I got tiered takeing it back to the store ,i did this 3X !!!for get it I got store credit for it as they did'nt want to give my money back,U get what you pay for!!!
I have bought alot of things from them over the years and alot is still working fine but never a weller again!
so I bought a miller 211 mig welder( and it cost me both arms and legs and my 3 week ends lol ) and had not a one thing go bad at all with it yet ,( knock on wood) just my
Wow. So many exclamation points and no capital letters.