What are some aggressive, low cost abrasives for blasting?

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

What are some aggressive, low cost abrasives for blasting?

Post by robroy »

Hi!

Lately I've been using 70 grit aluminum oxide in my pressure blaster. I'm using it outdoors and am not re-collecting the media for a re-run through the blaster; it just goes all over the dirt and weeds.

I'm using a supplied air mask so I'm somewhat immune to the dangers of breathing nasty stuff from media dust.

The aluminum oxide works fine, but is expensive; it's about $1 per pound. It's really too expensive for me to just run it through the blaster once.

I'm looking for a media that's closer to 25 cents per pound, or maybe even less. I have a lot of blasting to do!

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much!
Robroy
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: What are some aggressive, low cost abrasives for blasting?

Post by robroy »

Hey Papabug71, thanks for replying!

What's the approximate cost per pound that you're paying for your sand?

And does that stuff work well on medium or heavy rust?

Thanks again!
Robroy
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

I havent bought any in a while. I bought a bunch of bags a year ago & have been keeping it in 5gal buckets with the lid on tight.

I think for a 80lb bag it was $11 bucks. It works great on all rust, & espically on the frame & heavy steel.

Be careful using it on the body parts, I hear it can warp thin stuff. That being said, I used it to blast a air cleaner base & lid the other day & it didnt even phase it. I know the air cleaner is thinner metel than the body. I had it flowing @ 100psi thru the regulator.
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hey Papabug71,

Wow, 14 cents per pound would be a big improvement over my $1 per pound stuff!

Thanks for your great advice! I'll looking for something similar to what you're using.

Papabug71, was the product you bought specifically designed for sand blasting? Or was it some kind of general purpose sand?

Thanks again,
Robroy
kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by kaptnkaos »

Good thread you got goin' here Robroy... I'm kinda in the same boat

I've only been able to find the $1.00 a lb stuff myself...
Because of that, I have hardly even used my media blaster.
I wanna buy a stand-up blasting cabinet to get the maximum use out of the blasting media as well as keeping the mess down to a minimum...

KaptnKA 8) S
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

"Olde Skool" '68 Ford Bluebird short bus
"FRODO" '68 F-250 Camper Special project
CO684X4

Post by CO684X4 »

Just an idea here. Did you call and see how much it would be to have it done by a shop? I looked into getting a blaster and the supplies to do it myself. I then called around found a place intown that is going to blast my entire bed, core support, grill, headers, fenders and doors for 200 out the door. I couldnt even buy everthing for that.
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

It is specifically for blasting. The stuff I get is made by a outfit called Mohawk sand. They are out of Sand Springs Oklahoma. The sand is dredged from the Arkansas River.

Im sure they are just a local bunch, but you should be able to find some in your neck of the woods. Just find your local automotive paint dealer & they should have it.
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

KaptnKA 8) S, CO684X4, and Papabug71, thanks for replying!!!
KaptnKA S wrote:Good thread you got goin' here Robroy... I'm kinda in the same boat

I've only been able to find the $1.00 a lb stuff myself...
Yes! And if you're blasting that stuff all over the ground like I am, it's about like having a cocaine habit!
KaptnKA S wrote: Because of that, I have hardly even used my media blaster.
I wanna buy a stand-up blasting cabinet to get the maximum use out of the blasting media as well as keeping the mess down to a minimum...
Yes those look nice don't they! My only reservation with them is that I know that most of the things I want to blast are too large to fit in a cabinet. But for the small things, it seems like you can't beat the tidiness and economy of a cabinet!
CO684X4 wrote:Just an idea here. Did you call and see how much it would be to have it done by a shop? I looked into getting a blaster and the supplies to do it myself. I then called around found a place intown that is going to blast my entire bed, core support, grill, headers, fenders and doors for 200 out the door. I couldnt even buy everthing for that.
I see your point! That's a good suggestion. Yet you know, at this point, I'm so heavily invested (two large air compressors, a pressure blaster, and the open space to blast outdoors), that I'll just carry it out on my own. Plus, I like the idea of being able to blast the trouble areas (heavy rust) to my heart's content. I don't have supreme confidence in the motivation of a blasting shop to get those areas as ULTRA clean as I do.

This said, if I had the whole thing to do over again from scratch, I might hire the entire thing out and avoid the whole mess from the start. It sounds like you were wise with your choice and enjoyed a fortunate outcome!
papabug71 wrote:It is specifically for blasting. The stuff I get is made by a outfit called Mohawk sand. They are out of Sand Springs Oklahoma. The sand is dredged from the Arkansas River.

Im sure they are just a local bunch, but you should be able to find some in your neck of the woods. Just find your local automotive paint dealer & they should have it.
Thanks for replying to my question!

So river sand is sure to have plenty of silica in it, right? And are they thinking that that's OK since professional body shops will probably have oxygen tank or remote air breathing systems for using that stuff? As I'm sure you know, the silica dust is extremely harmful to the lungs if you accidentally breathe some.

It would probably be OK for me since I'm using a remote air pump and sealed breathing mask.

I do know of an auto paint store about fifty miles away from me; I'll give them a call and see if they know about this!

Thanks very much for the great replies!

Robroy
71PA_Highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 71PA_Highboy »

Black Beauty.... $16 per 100lbs.
I get it from the local sand & gravel place, though I have found places selling it by the ton.

Good Luck,

Eric
Got Ford?
2 EarlyBroncos (68,69)
2 Classic Mustangs (69,70)
1 F250 4x4 (71) - OB - 360, NP435, D24, HPD60 4.10, D60,
1 94 Ranger, 2.3, 5spd
1 Lincoln Mark VIII
mrsnicks
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrsnicks »

Yeah. Tractor Supply has this:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs ... ue&cFlag=1

Black Diamond $8.00 per 50lbs.

Patrick
Chevrolet
Can Hear Every Valve Rattle on Long Extended Trips

1969 F100 4X4 Highboy 390 3sp
1969 F100 SWB 2wd Auto 351w
1972 F100 Ranger XLT 302 Auto

http://mrsnicks.blogspot.com
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10336
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Eric and Patrick, thank you both very much for replying!

Those are great prices! I wouldn't mind spreading some of that stuff all over the ground during my work.

There's a Tractor Supply within driving distance of me. I think that's what I'll do!

Thanks again!
Robroy
71PA_Highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 71PA_Highboy »

Robroy,

try this:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost ... stcount=69

may save you some time, money and wasted media.

r/

eric
Got Ford?
2 EarlyBroncos (68,69)
2 Classic Mustangs (69,70)
1 F250 4x4 (71) - OB - 360, NP435, D24, HPD60 4.10, D60,
1 94 Ranger, 2.3, 5spd
1 Lincoln Mark VIII
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hi Eric, thanks! The tent idea is actually really good! I would have never thought of that.

I went to Tractor Supply just this past Wednesday and bought 200lb of Black Diamond coal-based stuff for $31.96! That's just $7.99 per 50lb sack, or about 16 cents per pound. Sure beats paying nearly a buck per pound like I had been doing!

I have yet to try the Black Diamond out, but I will either tomorrow or Sunday and I'll let ya'll know how I think it compares to the expensive stuff (aluminum oxide).

Thanks very much for the most excellent advice,
Robroy
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

I tried the Black Diamond stuff out today. Its performance seemed at least as good as the aluminum oxide! It was fantastic. With tons of air pressure behind it it really roasted through the bad stuff. And I didn't cringe as much every time a big burst of abrasive shot out (inefficiently) at once, like happens sometimes with my equipment. 16 cents per pound is very comfortable!

Thanks for this truly excellent recommendation.

Robroy
shortstack

Post by shortstack »

I'm not sure if this would work on thick rust or if it is just for general blasting use, but i have seen guys use walnut shells. Supposed to be very gentle on thin metal... If you had a source around town i would think it would be very inexpensive.
1971 f100 Custom, SWB, 302, T5
"It can't be that hard."