chordless impact wrech

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Brett6269
Preferred User
Preferred User

chordless impact wrech

Post by Brett6269 »

Anybody ever owned or tried a chordless impact wrench?? was thinking about buying one but need some input about them. Do they have enough nuts for suspention work???your opinions are appreciated... brett :thup:
lover of old fords
James72
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: chordless impact wrech

Post by James72 »

I tried one from snap-on and it was ok, it goes for about $450 and only has about the same torque as an air powerd 3/8s impact but the battery lasts for days. So no suspension work unless you at least break the bolts by hand first.
Brett6269
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: chordless impact wrech

Post by Brett6269 »

Thanx for info, just ordered from northern tool 24 volt 1/2 in drive impact chordless should be good to carry in bump for lugnuts, general repairs or breakdowns... :)
lover of old fords
Bryan_Tenn

Re: chordless impact wrech

Post by Bryan_Tenn »

I know this thread is really old & im sure technology has come a long way in the last few years. My dad bought one at Sears for our shop a few months ago. I work on small engines & have to take off a lot of flywheels & blades which are a pain to do with hand tools because they have to be held.

So I was constantly having to kick the compressor on to use air. Now I use this thing for 90% of the things I was using the air impact for & it works great, love it!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

I worked for a mobile home mover. He had a craftsman 1/2 dr impact. We used it to put tires and axles on and off the homes. It worked perfectly.
Madman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Madman »

I have a DeWalt 18V cordless impact which I use for most applications, I don't use it to torque, or break free lug nuts, but it is very handy for everything else.
""Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet."

2017 Ford Raptor
1970 F250 4x4
1948 Willys CJ2A w/ Ford Flathead V-8
1975 Ford Bronco
TexasTurkey

Post by TexasTurkey »

I have an 18volt Dewalt that I carry in my truck just to change tires. It has lithium batteries which are supposed to hold a charge for 18 months so they won,t be run down just when you need them. Dewalt makes 2 18 volt wrenches with different torque ratings the larger being 300 ft-lbs and I have used the smaller to change tires on different trucks. I got mine after I went to the front-end shop in our town and they used them for suspension work and I got the smaller one because I wanted it to get into tight places under my hood. You can go onto the Dewalt factory surplus site and get a bare tool(no battery) for less than $120 and sometimes Home Depot has them for the same price. The torque ratings seem to be much stronger than the cheap air wrenches you get at parts stores --they,re not as strong as my 650 lb rates IR but they do a lot of jobs
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Texas, :wel: to the best site period. :fr:

I hope you like it here :pray:

Pull up a chair and stay awhile. :thup:
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: cordless impact wrech

Post by ToughOldFord »

Good timing that I ran across this thread. Last Sunday I just purchased a 19.2 Craftsman impact; 300lbs torque and a Lithium-ion battery. It's on sale right now for $149 both at the store and on their webstite.

After watching people with their trusty Dewalts doing a job much faster than I can by hand and realizing that "by hand" is getting slower as things crack and pop, (on me, not the bolts, lol), I decided to make the plunge. Couldn't justify the $300 for a Dewalt though so settled for the Craftsman. They, (Craftsman), had cheaper ones, but they only had 200lbs torque so I got the best one they offered.

Haven't tried it out yet though, but I think it's going to help!

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-c3-189-8 ... 945195000P
1969 F250 Ranger Camper Special. 390, NP435, 3:73s.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. -Thomas Jefferson
hdpusher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdpusher »

I have the 20V Dewalt I bought on Black Friday for just over 120 bucks and I have had excellent luck with it. I use it pretty regular and its a huge time saver. Last trip out west i blew 2 tires and I was so glad to have it with me. It also seem to work better the more I use it.
67 Chevy II 302 sbc
67 Ford F350 Motor home
68 Ford F100 long bed (Sold :cry: )
78 CJ5
03 Dodge Cummins