what type of media do you use in your sandblaster?

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

what type of media do you use in your sandblaster?

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

I need some advice on what type of media to use in my 'blasters.

My little portable unit I used sandbox sand in the only time I used it, and I can say it was disappointed in the results. the sand wasnt coming out very hard at all. I assume the granules were to large? it is a suction type if that matters.

My sandblast cabinet I have is almost 2 years old and I have yet to fire it up, so I need advice on what to use in it, also. I plan to blast small metal parts in it mostly, but may try some wood blasting or glass etching.

any ideas? I cant decide between walnut, sand,poly stuff, or what to use.
what are you guys using out there?
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: what type of media do you use in your sandblaster?

Post by FORDification »

Sandbox sand will normally work just fine...it's not the media that's causing you problems, it's your sandblaster. Those suction units....well, SUCK! (figuratively speaking, not literally!) They do not put out enough pressure to get any kind of decent results. You can get a good pressurized sandblaster setup from Harbor Freight pretty inexpensively...I'd highly suggest that, if your air compressor can handle the task.

Sandblast cabinets are a different story though, for the most part. Since the distance from the suction end and the outlet end isn't very far, they can produce decent results. I use silica sand for a little more aggressive blasting, or you can get glass bead media just about anywhere for use with softer materials. I'm not sure what the recommended media for glass etching is, but I'd bet a quick Google will give you all kinds of returns on the subject.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
71Ford100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 71Ford100 »

In the cabnet we use fine sand but it has scrathced the top up so I don't recommend in the cabinet. We buy our sand at a lumber yard in 80lb bags. You can get them in fine or rough grade. Thats what we use on tractor parts anyways.
Lance Peters
'72 250 4x4 project,''71 F-100 daily driver,69 F-250 4x4 Crew, '68 F-100, '68 F-250 crew under restoration, '52 Dodge 1/2 ton overload, gazillion tractors and combines
shrektruck

Post by shrektruck »

I use the pressure pot setup from Harbor rape too. Here's a link for glass etching supplies. These guys are a little pricier on their blast media than an industrial house but their service is terrific. I have never had an order take more than two days to get here and if I want to drive up they've always had my order ready when I get there. they usually throw in some extra too.
These folks know what customer service is about. Am I still rambling? Damn! I am. Sorry.

http://www.rayzist.com