clean up

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

clean up

Post by dotcentral »

What are some good ideas for low cost garage floor cleanup? I had my everyday car parked in the garage for a few days and now have little puddles of ATF and oil. Does kitty litter do okay? Anything else low buck?

What about for stains? Does hand cleaner do anything? Not going for spotless, just trying to get the worst of it.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: clean up

Post by willowbilly3 »

In a commercial repair shop we washed down the flor nearly every day. For the greasy spots I would scrub them with a little parts solvent and then use the floor dry or Kitty litter (hydrated lime). Then after spot cleaning we would mix up powder Tide in a bucket of hot water and just dump it on the floor and give it a quick scrub with a stiff broom, then rinse and squeegee. It made the shop smell nice and our floors always sparkled.
And now as a concrete man I would reccomend using an acrylic sealer on the floor. It does wear off in high traffic areas but it makes sweeping and maintainence much easier. Costs about 10 bucks a gallon and covers 600-1000 square feet.
And since we have material left over from other jobs I may acid stain my floor too, if I can figure out how to do a black and white checkerboard.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.