Lost another part! Coil spring upper spring seat.

Moderator: FORDification

69f-100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Lost another part! Coil spring upper spring seat.

Post by 69f-100 »

sargentrs wrote:
69f-100 wrote:where do you find(5A307) the 2wd ones i only see them for 4wd in dc.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Truck-OEM- ... 27&vxp=mtr
and http://www.rearcounter.com/C8UZ5A307A-parts55891.html
its sold.. how do i check that part number to make sure its for a 2wd? i just checked on mine and they are there but are rusted out. so i'm going to have to find two. i'm not sure how you found the whole part number to search? i can find the (5A307) but i don't know how to find the rest of it.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Ford rarely changed the part number for a particular type of part. They'd just change the date code or the engineering revision. i.e. C8TZ-5A307-xxx is a lower spring seat cup for the 1968 and up model years. When they changed the design, they'd change the first 4 letters or the last 3 letters. Therefore, for example, as long as they used a two piece lower retainer design for the coil springs, they'd all have the 5A307 middle part numbers. However, the C8TZ prefix would be used from 1968 model forward until you get to the next design then it'd change to that model year. For example, the C8TZ-5A307 may be used until 1982 then they'd change the design and the part number would change to E2TZ-5A307-xxx. B=1950's, C=1960's, D=1970's, etc. then the 2 would be second model year of that decade. The TZ has some significance (like suspension or frame parts) but I've seen variations there too. You will also find that they kept the same prefixes and changed the engineering revision numbers for the same model years but different applications. The 2WD and 4WD may have the same model year prefix and part number but different engineering revisions, i.e. C8TZ-5A307-2A vs C8TZ-5A307-3A. Makes it difficult to nail down a particular part compatibility but it's not too hard to search out. I typically google for something like "5A307" "ford" "retainer" and will get ALL web pages that have ANY model of the coil spring lower retainer and then research more once I get the model year numbers. I never buy a part unless I see a picture for this reason. Clear as mud now, right?! :hmm:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
69f-100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 69f-100 »

sargentrs wrote:Ford rarely changed the part number for a particular type of part. They'd just change the date code or the engineering revision. i.e. C8TZ-5A307-xxx is a lower spring seat cup for the 1968 and up model years. When they changed the design, they'd change the first 4 letters or the last 3 letters. Therefore, for example, as long as they used a two piece lower retainer design for the coil springs, they'd all have the 5A307 middle part numbers. However, the C8TZ prefix would be used from 1968 model forward until you get to the next design then it'd change to that model year. For example, the C8TZ-5A307 may be used until 1982 then they'd change the design and the part number would change to E2TZ-5A307-xxx. B=1950's, C=1960's, D=1970's, etc. then the 2 would be second model year of that decade. The TZ has some significance (like suspension or frame parts) but I've seen variations there too. You will also find that they kept the same prefixes and changed the engineering revision numbers for the same model years but different applications. The 2WD and 4WD may have the same model year prefix and part number but different engineering revisions, i.e. C8TZ-5A307-2A vs C8TZ-5A307-3A. Makes it difficult to nail down a particular part compatibility but it's not too hard to search out. I typically google for something like "5A307" "ford" "retainer" and will get ALL web pages that have ANY model of the coil spring lower retainer and then research more once I get the model year numbers. I never buy a part unless I see a picture for this reason. Clear as mud now, right?! :hmm:
the one that was listed was a C8UZ-5A307A would that one work? i tried the C8TZ-5A307A and their wasnt any listed.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Not sure. Everything I find with the C8UZ prefix points to the Econoline van series. May be the same but I'm not familiar with the van's front suspension. I've been searching for a while now and all I can find are those "rearcounter" links. I know Mac's has a good reputation and I've bought from them before with good results. The part numbers I talked about were only meant to be examples and may not have been the actual part number. I'd give Mac's a call or Miller Obsolete Parts or Green Sales and just talk to them. Describe what you're looking for and they'll give you right part number if they don't have any. Miller's been very helpful to me before.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
69f-100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 69f-100 »

sargentrs wrote:Not sure. Everything I find with the C8UZ prefix points to the Econoline van series. May be the same but I'm not familiar with the van's front suspension. I've been searching for a while now and all I can find are those "rearcounter" links. I know Mac's has a good reputation and I've bought from them before with good results. The part numbers I talked about were only meant to be examples and may not have been the actual part number. I'd give Mac's a call or Miller Obsolete Parts or Green Sales and just talk to them. Describe what you're looking for and they'll give you right part number if they don't have any. Miller's been very helpful to me before.
thank you, i talked to larry and he is going to try and round some up for me. you guys have been a big help.. thanks again

Ryan
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Ok, so I played around with my radius arm today and came to the conclusion that I can't remember how it looked assembled and I didn't take any pics of that part. Can anybody tell me if the lower coil spring seat is supposed to sit at an angle like this? Also, the bolt slides through, a lock nut tightens it to the I-beam, then the lower seat slides on, the coil spring seats, the upper retainer slides on and then a lock nut tightens those down. Right? P.S. that's not the right part acting as the upper retainer, just something I had laying around to check the bolt length.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
forrestbump
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by forrestbump »

Yup...looks good to me!

The long bolt goes through BOTH your I beam and radius arm, nut clamps these two parts together, spring seat #5A307 sits on top of radius arm, coil spring sits on spring seat, spring hold down piece #5A349 (cup side up) lays on top of bottom coil of spring (run through I beam/radius long bolt) and finally nut is attached to clamp the whole affair together.

Just as shown here http://www.fordification.com/tech/image ... eams02.jpg as you provided earlier in this thread.

YES, the coil spring seat #5A307 sits as it does in your picture until it's loaded up with all of it's parts and bolted together. I just looked at my light duty F-250 for a visual reference and it matches this illustration as well as your photo.

All's good :thup:
1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Sky View Blue, Ranger XLT

1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, A/C, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (again, of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Wimbledon White & Sky View Blue, Ranger (almost twin brothers!)

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do" - Henry Ford

Larry
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Thanks for the confirmation, Larry! I feel better. I elected to get new bolts (3/4" x 6-1/2" zinc plated, Grade 8, fine thread) but the only one's I could get were 6-1/2" while the originals are 6-5/8". Also the original had an overly long thread length while my new one's just had the standard length threads. This meant that my threads ran out before I hit the radius arm and to compensate I'd have to put a flat washer and lock washer on, shortening everything even more. I wanted to make sure that they'd be long enough so was giving it a test fit. Had just enough thread to get all the way through the top nut with 2 threads showing. :thup: Now if I could only find a set of 5A349's... :wink: Just kidding, no rush. TCB first, gotta feed the beast!
Randy
69f-100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 69f-100 »

sargentrs, where did you get the bolt hardware from that's in that picture?
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Here you go! http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-cap-screws/=gyyiyw Part number: 91257A884
Randy