new member longtime bump owner

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

stinger40

new member longtime bump owner

Post by stinger40 »

Hello from the suburbs of San Diego. I am a longtime bump owner, had my 1970 F250 4x4 for 29 years. My dad owns an F250 bump and so does my brother. We have always called them "inneys" and "outteys" so the terms "dents" and "bumps" when I first saw them on this web site were amusing, not too far from the family terms for these trucks.

When I got my truck it was a tired old farm truck from Montana that someone had brought down with then when they moved to San Diego. They had purchased a 390 long block for it but never installed it, then lost interest and put it up for sale. It had a 1967 cab on it, I am sure they told me when I bought the truck why the original cab wasn't in place but I can't remember what the story was. The truck was complete, straight, and pretty much rust free and with decent older paint, two tone red and white. Front end was closed knuckle with drum brakes. 4 speed manual transmission, divorced transfer case. It had a giant home-made cattle-pusher front bumper welded right to the frame on the front and 4 amber running lights on the top of the cab, and twin CB whip antennas on each side of the cab. I got the truck for $1800. I had the rear axle rebuilt (carrier bearings were shot, the ring gear could be moved side to side a quarter inch), and checked all the bearings in the transfer case and transmission and put new seals in all, and all new u-joints. Went through the brakes, new brake hoses. New windshield to replace the cracked on it came with. Cut the bumper off the front and mounted a new bumper with home-made brackets. Put all new mounts for the engine, transmission, and transfer case. New bushings for the leaf springs, those were all shot. Put the long block in it, and got it on the road.

It didn't take me long to realize the truck was not easy to drive, or maybe I was too used to driving cars with power everything. It was hard to stop with the manual drum brakes and the manual steering was really difficult to park with. My brother has discs and power steering in his F250, my dad has manual steering and drums in his. After driving my dads and my brothers trucks, and mine, I knew I wanted to upgrade to discs and power steering for mine.

Within 3 or 4 years I purchased a 1977 (or so) disc brake open knuckle F250 Dana 44 front end and 1977 F250 power steering box and swapped those onto my truck along with a power brake booster/master cylinder/proportioning valve. Those changes made a huge difference in how the truck drives! Otherwise the truck is fairly stock. I added an aux gas tank. At one point about 25 years ago I removed the running lights from the top of the cab, welded those holes shut, and got the truck painted all white.

Recently I replaced the power brake booster and master cylinder. I have also been living with a super slow leak in the radiator for way too long, I finally got that fixed.

I have a rebuilt 460 with a stroker crank and a new NV4500 5 speed overdrive transmission that I am going to put into it one of these days.
But for now the old 390 is working ok.

My current project is a 1966 mustang that I am doing a resto-mod of. Got some other old Fords laying around for future projects, including a 1940 truck project that has not got off the ground yet. I have a fairly complete shop and enjoy fabricating things for my cars. I am not a great welder but I am getting better. My daytime job that pays the bills is in electronics.
lennyp
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: new member longtime bump owner

Post by lennyp »

:wel: from Massachusetts.
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

:wel: from the Bay Area! You will enjoy driving the truck even more when you have a chance to install that overdrive in your truck! It will make freeway driving a lot nicer. Again, welcome and enjoy! :fr:
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

:wel: from...San Diego :D
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
pawpaws67

Post by pawpaws67 »

:wel: from just a little ways north of you.
1967 F-100 Ranger 2wd 352 3 spd
2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Welcome from the other side of the country in Georgia!!! Very cool story, and sounds like you have a pile of good stuff there!!!! :fr: :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
59yblockf100

Post by 59yblockf100 »

:wel: from far northern ca,
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

Welcome from Michigan great story!
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Stinger, :wel: to the best site period. :fr:

Hope :pray: you like it here. :fr:

Pull up a chair and stay awhile. :fr:
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

:wel: from Ohio

Mine was also manual steering and brakes and now has P/S and will have P/B this spring - best money I ever spent............ :D
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
1guydude
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 1guydude »

Heyo!
Welcome from the north side of the west coast.
Wa state! Enjoy ur stay.
D
2008 bmw 528i
1967 ford f100
2014 vw tiguan
2016 kawasaki 250f
2015 KTM rc390
2014 audi tt Quatro s
Braaaaap!
Twisted_Steel

Post by Twisted_Steel »

:wel: from Central North Carolina.
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

:wel: from Alberta!
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070