Shift Indicator/Neutral Safety switch install issue

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

F100project1966

Shift Indicator/Neutral Safety switch install issue

Post by F100project1966 »

Hey guys, just joined but appreciate much of the information and discussion on this forum. I just bought a 1966 F100 that had been upgraded sometime in the past with a 390 V8 and C6 transmission. Power steering was added, but no PRNDL or neutral safety switch. The steering wheel looks original, but I think the column was updated with the power steering/automatic transmission. The shifter is on the column. My question is how do I figure out what parts I need to install a shifter indicator on the column and a safety switch on the transmission? There is no electrical connection that I see on the tranny for the switch, so I'm guessing I'll have to wire separately. Is there a shifter indicator that I can wire directly to the starter?
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Shift Indicator/Neutral Safety switch install issue

Post by basketcase0302 »

"F100project1966"]Hey guys, just joined but appreciate much of the information and discussion on this forum. I just bought a 1966 F100 that had been upgraded sometime in the past with a 390 V8 and C6 transmission. Power steering was added, but no PRNDL or neutral safety switch. The steering wheel looks original, but I think the column was updated with the power steering/automatic transmission. The shifter is on the column. My question is how do I figure out what parts I need to install a shifter indicator on the column and a safety switch on the transmission? There is no electrical connection that I see on the tranny for the switch, so I'm guessing I'll have to wire separately. Is there a shifter indicator that I can wire directly to the starter?
Your 66' would not have had a NSS as the NTSB / DOT started mandating them the following year if I'm not mistaken, (in 1967)? The NSS, (and back up light switch you didn't mention) are both easily added to your build using the 70's era OEM style switch found installed on the dentside trucks. I have a used one for sale if you don't want to bit the bullet and buy a new one.
The shift indicator would take a little more work and probably require finding an automatic shift column that has the indicator built int it. How did the linkage get hooked up to marry the shifter to the transmission?
https://www.macsautoparts.com/early_for ... craft.html

Or you could go the quick cheap route and throw in a "ghetto shifter" -as some members here call them-like a B & M Truckshifter (floor mounted shifter that has all the bells and whistles) like illuminated shift indicators / NSS / back up light switch. Here's the ghetto shifter I put in my old 71 and I loved it! :thup:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-80680
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
F100project1966

Jeff,
Thanks for this response. I didn't even realize I don't have a backup light. One more thing for my list. I'm inclined to go in the direction of adding the shifter indicator to the column and hooking up the NSS from the column to the starter. Your question about the linkage with this new steering column and where it came from is a good one. If I remove the cowl from the column, would there be some identifying serial number to give me a clue?
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"F100project1966"]Jeff,
Thanks for this response. I didn't even realize I don't have a backup light. One more thing for my list. I'm inclined to go in the direction of adding the shifter indicator to the column and hooking up the NSS from the column to the starter. Your question about the linkage with this new steering column and where it came from is a good one. If I remove the cowl from the column, would there be some identifying serial number to give me a clue?
I've had a dozen or so in front of me on the shop floor but to be honest have never noticed where a part number is stamped on them, (maybe someone else can chime in here to help with that as there are too many different possibilities of what someone could have added (power steering column wise). It might be easier to identify the steering wheel, (if it looks like it came on the column that was swapped into the truck) and you'd then be closer to ID'ing the column. The backup lights can also be added easily enough, (aftermarket assembly with a tranny mounted switch to activate them).
There's so...many different possibilities of which steering column someone could have put in the truck here are a few:
http://www.fordification.com/tech/schematics_c.htm
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
F100project1966

Okay. That will be my weekend project. I'll see if I can't identify the steering column and go from there.
F100project1966

Well I got a little sidetracked, but my efforts to figure out which NSS to install hasn't gone far. Although multiple shops have told me to get the tranny mounted D8TZ-7A247-A, it will not fit on my '73 C6. My steering column, which looks like the one used for '65-'72 F100s, has the opening down below for the column mounted NSS, but no slots in the inner shifter. I'm thinking that a C7TZ-7A247-A will fit the outer column and I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of installing an actuator pin on the inner shifter shaft with no holes? Hose clamp/JB weld? Set screws?