Power Steering hoses

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

Bs72f250

Power Steering hoses

Post by Bs72f250 »

Good Evening,

Hey all,

I am a first time buyer of a classic ford. I just recently purchased a 1972 Ford F250 Ranger edition. Some points: it has a dump bed (doesn't work at the moment), but I have a new solenoid and a hydraulic pump that came with it so hopefully I can get that running, it has a 390 automatic 3 speed, 82,000 original miles, runs great, but a few things I need to fix before I get it daily driver worthy. I am new to fixing up old trucks, but have some experience wrenching on cars/trucks. I signed up here in hopes that somebody could help me with some questions. Here are the ones I have:

1. The truck still has the original 16.5 rims 8 lug 6-1/2 on them, and I now know that I need to change to another rim. Any recommendations on size rims and what size tire? I will only be driving her to and from work.

2. I have identified the power steering pressure hose is leaking and am going to replace that, but does anybody know what the other line is called? I figured I am going to replace all hoses at the same time. Is it the return line? The reason I ask is it has two metal pieces at the end, one in a long shaped L and a short L on the other end. The pressure hose looks different. But when I go to the auto store they say the return line is just the hose. Little confused on that! Anybody have some ideas?

3. Also, besides going to a couple of junk yards that carry similar models to mine. I am assuming the exterior parts like tail light assemblies, tail light lenses, are interchangeable with other year and make of ford trucks. Does anybody know the years so that I may pull parts appropriately?

4. Is it true the ATF fluid is used for the power steering fluid, instead of power steering fluid?

5. Does anybody know how to hook up the windshield wiper fluid box hose. The box works, just can't find where to connect the hose to, to spray out the fluid on the windshield.

6. So on my dash everything works but the gas gauge, any recommendations on fixing that?

7. Final question, So the truck has two tanks, but the second take does not have the cap to put gas into it, how do I fix that if I can't get the bed lifted up at the moment?

Thanks for reading, and putting up with all my questions. Just super excited to get this bad boy rolling.
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Power Steering hoses

Post by Manny »

Welcome to Fordification. Sounds like you need to start a project thread here! I will jump you questions here right now.
1.)Find a 80-96 ford dually and get the 16"wheels off it that fit the same pattern. Then 215/85R16 or 235/85R16 to get it rolling.
2.) Yes pressure hose crimped together and return hose. the return hose can just be tranny cooler rubber line and some clamps as you replace it. cut off the old hose and factory crimp clamps.
3.) 67-72 for most parts 67-79 can also cross parts check the tech articles here. Some of the 350 dumps like yours may be better finding parts at a truck shop to replace some of the items like dump truck tailights.
4.) Yes type F atf old school fluid trans and power steering.
5.)hook the lines to a t and then the lines go to the squirter nozzles in the valance.
6.) Gas gauge is probably a failed sending unit of bad float in the tank. Start a tech thread we will jump into that further there.
7.)probably gonna have to lift the bed for that need some pictures !!!

Welcome once again! :fr:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
Bs72f250

Post by Bs72f250 »

Thank you for answering my questions. Super helpful! I do have another question for anybody to answer. I am going to go 16 inch rims for the and the 215/85R16's, but I need to know what width of the rim you would recommend? I was thinking either 6 or 7? Also what offset rim should I get?
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Bs72f250 wrote:Thank you for answering my questions. Super helpful! I do have another question for anybody to answer. I am going to go 16 inch rims for the and the 215/85R16's, but I need to know what width of the rim you would recommend? I was thinking either 6 or 7? Also what offset rim should I get?
16x7's then just measure the offset of the 16.5's and match it. Start you a build thread in the project forum!!! :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).