New Truck/New to Site

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

psvien

New Truck/New to Site

Post by psvien »

Hello,

I came upon this site looking for information about my newly purchased truck. I picked up a 1967 F250 Ranger Styleside 352 engine 3speed Cruisomatic transmission 90 thousand miles former camper truck. This truck is not a camper special though. Rust is superficial engine runs but needs a carb or carb adjust. Brakes pull severely to the right. Color code in not on the VIN and looks to be a special order from Michigan to Minneapolis area. The color is Vintage Burgundy to me but was not offered as a paint selection that year so not sure if the special order made it available? It has a Dana 60 rear end with 4.10 gears. Crack in windshield otherwise glass is good. Has the chrome ranger trim and tags. Tailgate is virtually brand new not attached I think it was stored in a shed when camper was on and I think the camper was on it's whole life. Anyway I like this truck but want to make it a summer and fall driver and put it in the shed once the snow flies. I plan on new drum brakes all around to start and maybe new lines. Then I want to figure out the carb issue. I eventually might want a disc front end and a 4 barrel carb. I want dual exhaust and headers since one is cracked already. I will change all fluids and fix anything obvious. I paid 2700 I think I did ok but not sure I also don't know the extent of these repairs needed ect.. Oh and the tires swear to god look like the original to the era tires . Super thick tread but weather checked badly. So it need new tires too. and I have been looking at tires and they are really hard to find in the old rim size I think 16.5 so I need to figure that out too. I haven't driven because of the brake issue but have heard it run. I pick it up next week and just trying to get a list of things to do. How do you think it will go down the road with the automatic cruisomatic and the Dana 60 4.10 gearing. I don't know if that's high or low gearing. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: New Truck/New to Site

Post by sargentrs »

:wel: from Georgia!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
lennyp
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by lennyp »

:wel: from Massachusetts.
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

:wel: from MA. Before you spend too much on a carb, consider changing the points cap and rotor. I chased what I thought was a carb issue since December until last week when I changed the points out for a PerTronix Igniter and the hesitation and stalling went away.

The 4.10 gears are not for cruising, that's for sure. I have them in my Dana 70 with a C6 and highway 'cruising' is more like work that costs money to perform. But for such a heavy truck with an anemic 360 it does get off the line surprisingly quick, so there's advantages to the 4.10s for sure.

I couldn't tell you if you paid too much, since it really boils down to whether or not you feel like you did. $2700 sounds reasonable to me, might not to the next guy. It also matters where you live and how many vintage trucks are available there. Up here in northern MA I found a steal at $4500 for what I got, but others have found better condition trucks cheaper where they are.

Best of luck and again: :wel:

-Joe
Last edited by MadJoe on Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
1971 F-350 DRW SWB Stake Body
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

:yt: